Periodic Snapshots: Create snapshot now

Status
Not open for further replies.

monarchdodra

Explorer
As the title explains, give users the possibility to manually create a automatic snapshot now. This is different from the normal "create manual snapshot" in that the newly created snapshot will be "owned and managed" by the periodic snapshot mechanism: IE: deleted at the end of its allotted lifetime. If the periodic task is replicated, it means the snapshot will also be automatically replicated. Also, it will show up on CIFS's shadow_copy2.

It can also make sure your data is snapshotted on the spot if you just made an important modification (or right before, for that matter). Finally, it can also make testing your configuration easier.

IMO, not a huge functionality, but probably not that hard to implement either, and part of those little plus-es that makes things friendlier, better, and more convenient.

Kind regards,
Monarch Dodra

PS: Yeah, I can open a ticket if you want me to.

monarchdodra

Explorer
Details

Because I always think a picture is better than words, this is what I had in mind:

The periodic snapshot tasks would have an extra icon "take snapshot":

ADQl1.jpg

This would open a dialog, simply asking to confirm that the user wants to take the snapshot. There would also be a check box, to specify whether the new snapshot should be taken into account in the "periodic schedule".

Uaiuw.png

Status
Not open for further replies.