Periodic Snapshot Tasks - retentio,

fab67

Cadet
I changed a "Periodic Snapshot Tasks" frequency and now all old snapshots go from " Will be automatically destroyed ... " in "Will not be destroyed automatically"
Is this expected or a bug ?

fab67

Cadet
And with the screenshot.
Inital "Periodic Snapshot Tasks"
1699096933873.png

And after modification of the task frequency
1699097090826.png

I changed a "Periodic Snapshot Tasks" frequency
What is the change you made in frequency?

If the snapshot name no longer coincides on the same interval as any existing task, then there's nothing that will mark it for destruction.

Last edited:

fab67

Cadet
I only change the Schedule
1699102785001.png

I the example in #2, As you can see I only change the Schedule from 12:21 PM to 12:24 PM to test.
So It means you can't modify the task in any way ( time or day ) or deleting it without affecting the old snapshots retention behaviour ?

And what was the Periodic Snapshot schedule before?

fab67

Cadet
Oh I see, in the snapshot name there is hh:mm so if you change hours or minutes after that in the schedule, the naming pattern is changing and the old snapshots whith old naming pattern can no longer be attached to this task.
Correct ?
Conclusion, you have to choose the schedule ( hours and minutes ) carrefully in the first place.

Bingo.

It's not intuitive, is it? I agree. I don't like the way TrueNAS uses Zettarepl to handle snapshots and pruning. There is no "database" or "table" that keeps track of snapshots, independent of their names. Zettarepl parses the names themselves. So if the snapshot's parseable name does not align with an existing task, there is nothing to prune it.

Likewise, the opposite is true. You can accidentally have old, archival snapshots destroyed without even knowing it, because of the same quirk about how Zettarepl works! :eek:

See here for more information: