Wild77777

Cadet
Hi all,
I have build a FreeNas server, here is the specs:

-SuperMicro Board with 2 nics (A third one for IPMI) all GigaBits
-Board has 6X 3gbits sata ports
-32 Go of RAM 1300
-Xeon E3-1230v2

Ok so here is the issue (or not). I'm trying to figure out if my performance is at it's best. I'm copying files through another computer on a Gig connection on the same Gig switch (linkSyS SR2024). The source drive is a Western green 1,5 To 7200. The destination is my freeNas with 6 x 4To Seagate (ST4000DM000 4TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s) 5900Rpm recent drives. I have FreeNas running on a usb cruzer 2.0 stick and my 6 drives are on my sata 3gbits port (On the MB). I have 1 volume of 14 To and the Zpool is in RaiZ 2. I also have encrytion on that volume. I'm using the latest FreeNas with auto tune ON. When I look at reporting I can see my network steady at around 400-500 M. My CPU is almost sleeping, and my RAM seem to be used around 10-15 with the rest free (Green) I'm copying files that are between 30 to 60 Go size. I'm getting on average between 48 to 52 Mbytes per second transfer rate. Is that normal or I should look into a Larc2 and Zil or anything else. Maybe it is normal speed for these hard drives.

Thanks in advance for the response. Hope I didn't forget any détails.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The ST4000DM000 isn't the zippiest drive on the market. You're in a size range where I would expect that there is probably opportunity for some tuning to take place to improve performance. Start by disabling autotune, turn off any sysctl/tunables that autotune injected, and reboot, see what you get. Then read up on whatever protocol you're using and look at the things people have successfully tuned. Basically, tuning is a sometimes complicated and nonobvious game.

Wild77777

Cadet
Thanks alot for the reply, i'll look into this and let you know if I find something interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.