Performance impact of having mysql database in another jail separate from application?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ideal2545

Dabbler
Hi Guys,

I'm going to be installing nextcloud soon in a separate jail and I was thinking about just using a MySQL database instance that I already have running in another jail. Is there a possible performance hit by doing it this way? Maybe there's a way for me to route the connection to MySQL internally between the jails without needing to go out to the network and back?

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure why you felt the need to post the same question in three different threads, but I also don't know if there's going to be a definitive answer to this. I'd expect there would be some additional overhead from the second jail, but if it's there anyway it shouldn't be anything significant.

As to avoiding the network, I'd guess you could put the socket file on a dataset that's mounted to both jails. I'm not sure if that would be better or worse for performance than working through the network stack.

ideal2545

Dabbler
Thanks! I actually deleted the other posts just to consolidate since it was a more generic question.

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.