Pemission issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikado

Cadet
Greetings.
As a FreeNAS novice I have just set up an old PC as a NAS server. All went well and I can see the shared folder. However I cannot save to it or create new subfolders as it says I need permission to do so.
It is a Windows CIFS share and I have tried using both an XP and a Windows 7 PC.
I have added myself as a new user but am unsure what Group I should be assigned to.
Any help would be very much appreciated.

praecorloth

Contributor
Permissions are a fun topic, and can get pretty lengthy. However to get things rolling for you, go to the Storage section of the web GUI, look at the permissions on the volume you'd like access to, and make sure that your user is either the owner or a member of the group listed there. Make sure that Owner and Group have read/write access in the check boxes.

Alternately, I believe you can give read/write access to Other in the check boxes, and then rely on CIFS to authenticate your user and give you access to the volume.

Mikado

Cadet
Brilliant. Many thanks. (whilst the write access box was ticked for Owner and Group, I found that by ticking the write access box for 'Other' allowed me the access I was missing.)

Status
Not open for further replies.