PDF Tutorial with Best Practice Examples? (Tell me why I'm stupid)

Would you benefit from a PDF compendium with general examples and tutorials for a beginner?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luminousdolphin

Dabbler
@gpfreitas Totally agree with you on numerous points. As a mini user myself, I like the idea of better documentation, however I think its unfair for an open source software to have guides directed only toward commercial products. Plus, iX wants to plug their own enterprise software anyhow.

I will say the freenas mini guide that came with the unit is embarrassing for iX. I also think it's reasonable for iX to provide a user guide for the mini that isn't a 10 page leaflet of useless garbage about following a wizard. I think the cop-out is "it's open source, what do you expect?"... but, I've seen linux distros with docs and guides that wipe the floor with the FREENAS docs...

However, I'm speaking more re: Configuration guides, not hardware guides. Hardware changes too quickly. The concepts behind configuration I feel could be more easily adapted and updated. I think config guides are what is most daunting to the newcomer. If you wanna go cheap and use crappy hardware, you're digging your own grave imho.

@SilverJS yep totally agree. I want to help, and assist in this, and I feel that the amount of people who ACTUALLY TOOK THE TIME is high enough to assemble their guides into a sensible whole. In my mind, there's already a book written within the forums, it just has to be curated.

@modresponses In general, I think hiding behind the 'no one wants to learn everything, everyone is a self-serving @$$ who doesn't care, wants something cheap, is entitled, et al' thing is shortsighted, and distances the admins from their own goals. Yes, there are these people. But perhaps, the sea of disparate information in the forums helps to generate this kind of behavior, rather than curb it. Again, I think i'm in the minority in encouraging a solution-focused, rather than problem focused dialogue.

I'm not asking for the world, I don't want my hand held, I don't want the easy way out, I don't even want it for free, I just want it to EXIST.

When you learn math as a kid, you're provided with examples, as well as 'proofs' which lead you to, in my mind at least, understanding fundamentals better. You don't drop Euclid's notebooks in front of a Geometry student and expect them to catch on and get it..... There's a text. Again, just a simple analogy... not looking for a debate on the state of primary education in the world.

I can't think of how you could possibly say this is unreasonable, unjustified, or a poor use of time or that it would be of more benefit than answering the same question 4 billion times:

Why not have better organized how-to's and stickies? Cull the best from the various guides in the how-to section and organize them into sections, or strata? Then compile this into a PDF format that can be referenced on an e-reader? Why instead of a giant wall of disparate, disorganized text can't we combine forces to organize something with at least a table of contents or structure of some sort to aid in reference?

I don't think i'm alone in saying navigating this forum and trying to cull useful information and develop a sensible plan of action for my own needs feels a lot like taking apart a mechanical watch blindfolded.

I used the phrase "Tell me why I'm stupid" tongue-in-cheek, because I (rightly) guessed that there was going to be immediate opposition by moderators.... however, I'm pleased to see that there is interest in some of the ideas and solutions I've proposed, as I would not want to be wasting my breath in bringing this up and encouraging further dialogue about it.

Luminousdolphin

Dabbler
PS

@cyberj0ck I think the idea of a crowdsourced book is great and I'd like to assist you if you want to go down that path.

However, for the time-being I think the forums already have a huge wealth of knowledge and information that just needs to be organized.

I also think that this would be an excellent jumping off point for the book. It will also be informative as to what the most common issues are, and what the most common solutions might be.

If every currently active (within a week lets say) forum poster gave you $10, what would that amount to?

Thanks for sticking with me here on this.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Why not have better organized how-to's and stickies? Cull the best from the various guides in the how-to section and organize them into sections, or strata? Then compile this into a PDF format that can be referenced on an e-reader? Why instead of a giant wall of disparate, disorganized text can't we combine forces to organize something with at least a table of contents or structure of some sort to aid in reference?

Well, it's not a book and it's not really a compilation of the stickies but I've started a FAQ. I've put a good number of links to the existing stickies and it's structured, so maybe it'll be good enough to answer this question :)

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Come on, don't lie, it's a blatant attempt to boost your post count. ;-)

Bidule0hm

Me?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Of course. You created about a hundred followup posts for the content. ;-)

mjws00

Guru
Heh. Get back to work Grinch.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Heh. Get back to work Grinch.

Byte me!

Just skiving off... I hate prepping for painting with a HVLP gun, gotta cover *everything*. A hundred yards of masking tape and a week's worth of newspaper so far this morning.

Bidule0hm

Nope, it's because it's the only way to have links to the content in the index. I've made the mistake to put everything in one post in the useful scripts thread: it's far too long (which makes the edits a pain in the a**) and I can't link to each part in particular. I've even read the source code of the page to see if I can use some anchors added by the forum for whatever reason but there isn't any.

And in fact there is only 29 posts, not a hundred :P

mjws00

Guru
Couldn't resist. ;) Have had almost a month of prep, paint, and trim. The reno post hit me in the feels.

Luminousdolphin

Dabbler
@biduleohm looks great. However, for my own needs, after reading the hardware thread and cyberj0cks review I pulled the trigger on the mini figuring to go with best practice. Those are the areas I also understand the best. Most of what I would want clarification of is config related (permissions, datasets, services, et al). Hopefully this kind of stuff will make its way into your FAQ as well?

Bidule0hm

Permissions is a very big and very complex subject, I don't think I can put 10 Q/A without putting the 1000000 others on this subject...

Datasets is already here and if there is Q/A on the services then I'll probably put them in the Misc section (or replace the plugins section by a services section...) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.