PCIe sata controller compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferroresonance

Dabbler
Hi All , firstly my apologies is this thread is duplicate of a question some one else has asked

Hardware:
HP proliant n54l, 16GB Ram 5x 3TB Seagate Barracuda drives setup in Raidz.

FreeNAS Version and build:
FreeNAS-9.10.1-U2 (f045a8b)

FreeNAS Volume and Data Set:
1x Volume using 5x 3TB split into 3 Data sets as windows share

Question:
I want to add 2 more 3TB drives to my micro server. The only port i have left is the eSata which i dont want to use (cable bumping/accidental removal, etc.).
What i would like to do is install a 'SilverStone ECS03 ASMedia 1062R SATA Controller' which will give me another 2 internal sata ports. Will this card be compatible with freeNAS? and if not can anyone recommend a tested 2 port Gen2 PCie sata controller card

Link to 'SilverStone ECS03 ASMedia 1062R SATA Controller'
http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Controllers/SATA-&-SAS/64478-SST-ECS03

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If you had read the Hardware Recommendations Guide, which can be found in the Resources section and is linked in my sig, you would've read that the only truly reliable option for additional disk connectivity is an LSI SAS2 or SAS3 HBA.

I have yet to see a single PCI-e SATA controller that behaves well enough to be trusted. Marvell, ASMedia, Adaptec and everyone except LSI and Intel (and AMD, I guess) has yet to release a product that is reliable under FreeBSD.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Most SATA controller cards will be compatible with FreeNAS; the problem is that they're almost universally garbage. The safe answer is to buy a SAS HBA like the LSI 9211-8i (or one of its many rebadged models--IBM M1015, Dell H200, etc.), make sure it's running the proper firmware, and use a SAS breakout cable to your drives. Typically under US$100 used from eBay.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
If you need MOAR DRIVES, you can install an LSI 9207-4i-4e, and stick a 2U JBOD expansion shelf underneath your N54L in addition to cramming drives inside the NAS chassis.

ferroresonance

Dabbler
Hi All, thanks for the responses, i have decide to buy/use the SilverStone ECS02 LSI 9211-8i SAS/SATA Controller its only $299 au and add an additional 3x3TB drives and rebuild and run raidz2.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I know the Australian market is weird and all, but surely you can get a real LSI card for less. Or a more trustworthy rebadge.
I wouldn't be surprised if Silverstone were using Shenzhen Market Back Alley "spares" from LSI's factory.

ferroresonance

Dabbler
Hi Eric, your right i did find a cheaper New LSI 'brand' from china, its a three week delivery buy hey i am in no rush. I guess i just rushed into solution mode than stepping back and thinking

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

ferroresonance

Dabbler
i just cant win with you ;) Nothing purchased yet still looking for a good recommended brand and cost effective.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, it's like this:
Locally-sourced LSI from reputable retailer > locally-sourced reputable rebrand from reputable retailer > locally-sourced niche rebrand from reputable rebrand >>>>> anything sourced on ebay from China.

Stux

MVP
I just bought a good M1015 australian server pull off eBay for 95AUD delivered. As in last week. It's now in production.

To go with an M1115 I bought earlier for 85AUD delivered.

Both were from Australian used server parts suppliers on eBay.

Both flashed to 20.0.0.7 IT with no problems and are working flawlessly.

Stux

MVP

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.