PCIe adapter card that supports 2 x Optane M+B Keyed NVME?

foreverjake

Cadet
I have recently received 2 32GB Intel Optane NVME's. I only have a single 8X slot open in my server. I was hoping to install these as a dedicated ZFS Log VDEV for an existing pool. I have found lots of adapter cards that support multiple NVME's, but none that support PCIe NVME with M+B Key modules. I would prefer one with an on-board PCIe switch, but one that requires motherboard bifurcation could also fit the bill.

Thanks
Mike

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
but none that support PCIe NVME with M+B Key modules.

It's B key that you need, then. A M+B module works in a B key slot. Since you haven't given us any details about your SSD's or your server, it's hard to evaluate what the best options might be. In the future, please outline your hardware manifest as outlined in the Forum Rules. Helps us give you more accurate answers.

The classic answers for Supermicro would of course be the AOC-SLG3-2M2 which is NVMe only, bifurcation-based and requires an x8 slot, and which is expected to work in non-Supermicro systems in most cases, or the AOC-SLG3-2H8M2 which is NVMe plus SATA, LSI HBA controller based, and requires an x8 slot. Unlikely to work in non Supermicro systems, but who knows, it may. There are several versions of the latter card {-2H8M2, -2NM2, -2SM2) and I don't have my super secret handy decoder ring available right now. There is also the full height PLX-driven 4xM.2 card AOC-SHG3-4M2P, which is NVMe only and requires an x8 slot.

These are easily obtained through Supermicro distributors such as WiredZone (mention "jgreco sent me" for 100% discount, sorry, no, just kidding).