panic: general protection fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

brundle

Dabbler
I am having the same issues on some of my servers. They are all HP Proliant DL320s servers with the latest firmware installed. It has happened to all of them randomly so it should not be faulty hardware. They all have 4GB of RAM so maybe a memory limit issue?

Should those memory related configs be done in the /boot/loader.conf? What is the best way to set them since the partition is set read only?

-b

Tekkie

Patron
logon as root

mount -rw /
vi /boot/loader.conf
mount -ro /

PS. There are some other threads on the forum discussing how to change loader.conf a little search will list them.

sadokath

Dabbler
Actually what I would try is to limit max memory for the kernel and ZFS cache:
vm.kmem_size_max="3584M"
vfs.zfs.arc_max="3072M"

I've got a growing suspicion what on my system random freeze-ups are caused by too little memory being available to the system.

worth a try...
how do you calculate those values?

Tekkie

Patron
The values are a 'guess' based on the 4GB of RAM you have, you may also want to do a search for 'zfsguru' and use the loader.conf from that thread for a 4GB config.

ProtoSD

MVP
Those values look a little bit high for 4GB. I'm not an expert and I don't know any formula, but start with more conservative values and increase a little at time if needed. With vm.kmem_size_max="3584M" you're giving too much memory to the kernel and not enough to ZFS which is what really needs the memory. Here's what I have, it's conservative, but it's been working for me for several months now:

Code:
vm.kmem_size="1536M"
vm.kmem_size_max="2048M"
vfs.zfs.arc_min="256M"
vfs.zfs.arc_max="1024M"
vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable="0"

Here is the link Tekkie is talking about I think.

http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?465-ZFSGuru-Loader.conf-GUI-Editor&p=1781&viewfull=1#post1781

joeschmuck

Old Man
@Protosd

Are you still running with the settings listed above? I'm looking into enabling the prefetch and unfortunately I cannot upgrade my RAM without significant cost so using 4GB's is it. I have the swap file size limited to 1GB per drive (4GB total) but not even sure the swap file is used if needed here.

Thanks,
Mark

ProtoSD

MVP
Mark, I changed them a little, but nothing major, I wasn't having any problems with them. Here's what I'm using now:

Code:
#vm.kmem_size="1536M"
vm.kmem_size_max="2816M"
vfs.zfs.arc_min="256M"
vfs.zfs.arc_max="1024M"

I raised the max a little and commented out the 'min'. The other two have been the same since I first set them months ago.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Ryan,
Thanks for the update. Right now I'm trying to move files as fast as possible within the RAIDZ1 via SSH. I started to use Windoze via CIFS but realized it was transferring the files through the network connection which is too slow. Using SSH and keeping the transfer internal to the FreeNAS box should be much faster. Well it didn't seem fast enough to me so I enabled the vfs.zfs.prefetch_disabled="0" in the /boot/loader.conf file and rebooted. Funny thing is, I couldn't tell a difference, didn't seem faster at all. I never hit a memory issue while moving ~900GB of data (took just under 3 hours). You know, being gone for over a week on vacation was great and coming back to FreeNAS that just isn't ready for public use is a real disappointment. I has hoping for some more fixes. The new buttons are looking better :)

Tossed you a message.

-Mark

zutroi67

Cadet
hi!

without big words, here my problem in pictures:
[...]
i changed nothing via console. so boot.conf and /etc/ ... are untouched.
no custom cronjobs, one periodic (dayly) zfs snapshot was running (neerly empty volume, changed delta were only some kb).
[...]
any ideas... or do i need to provide additional information?

Hi! I have been using my current diskset for a few weeks, and have been very happy that it was going well, until last night when I backed up my Windaz box over the network to the NAS. It froze up, killed the GUI access etc. When I checked the output on the actual NAS box, it was exactly the same problem as what you have here (I mean, *EXACTLY*). My specs are in my .sig. I can repeat the result easily, just by copying a few hundred megabytes to the NAS box, via CIFS. (Excuse stupid and mistaken terminology, I am but a noob.) After about 10-15 minutes of copying, the NAS box panics, states that it can't coredump and freezes.

I am about to upgrade the version to FreeNAS-8.0.1-RC1-amd64. I really am way out of my league here, but I must continue until I get this working perfectly! Anyhow, thanks for any ongoing assistance. I will be lurking heavily in the background.

zutroi

Status
Not open for further replies.