"Panic" Error, FreeNAS basically stopped working after...

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

shackrock

Code:
panic: kmem_malloc(131072): kmem_map too small: 310042112 total allocated
cpuid = 0
uptime: 1d0h5m40s

That's my error... as soon as that happened, the two computers connected to it reported failures to connect to the window share, obviously, and I could no longer access the FreeNAS gui.

I'm running a brand new RaidZ1 ZFS array with (6) 2TB hard drives. Any idea?

Thanks,
Scott

ProtoSD

MVP
What version of FreeNAS are you using 8.0, 8.01beta ?, AMD64, i386?
What hardware do you have? CPU/RAM?

S

shackrock

8.0 release, not beta...

Hardware:
Cooler Master RC-590-KKN1-GP ATX Case In Stock Here
2 x Cooler Master STB-3T4-E3-GP 4 in 3 Device Module w/ 120mm Fan

Supermicro X8SIL-F
Intel Core i3-530 CPU
Kingston 2 x 2GB ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 RAM

Corsair 650TX PSU

ProtoSD

MVP
Ok, that means you should be running the AMD64 version. My advice is to increase your vm.kmem_size a little higher or set your vm.kmem_size_max to something like 2816M, in your /boot/loader.conf. You need to make sure you have the AMD64 version installed or it'll hang or panic on boot. From your console #9, or using ssh ('su root' if using ssh, passwd = 'freenas') Do 'mount -uw /', and then use your favorite text editor and add both or at least the 2nd line:

Code:
vm.kmem_size="1536M"
vm.kmem_size_max="2816M"

You can read about them and tweak them later, but that should be an improvement and fix your problem for now.

S

shackrock

Ok, that means you should be running the AMD64 version. My advice is to increase your vm.kmem_size a little higher or set your vm.kmem_size_max to something like 2816M, in your /boot/loader.conf. You need to make sure you have the AMD64 version installed or it'll hang or panic on boot. From your console #9, or using ssh ('su root' if using ssh, passwd = 'freenas') Do 'mount -uw /', and then use your favorite text editor and add both or at least the 2nd line:

Code:
vm.kmem_size="1536M"
vm.kmem_size_max="2816M"

You can read about them and tweak them later, but that should be an improvement and fix your problem for now.

Shoot, I'm definately running i386 version. Are you sure AMD64 is for me? I don't have an AMD cpu...

It runs find most of the time. it just gave me that error once. I'll try your mem trick.

If I need to switch to AMD64, can i do that while saving my current ZFS RAIDz array settings, so that I don't lose the data there?

ProtoSD

MVP
Yup, I know it doesn't seem right, and I thought the same thing myself for awhile, but it has to do with the AMD 64bit extensions that Intel adopted. Give it a try, that'll definitely make things better.

Yes, save your settings, reflash, boot up, restore and it will reboot automatically, and everything should be fine after that. You can still edit those settings I mentioned, but give it a try and see how it works first.

S

shackrock

Yup, I know it doesn't seem right, and I thought the same thing myself for awhile, but it has to do with the AMD 64bit extensions that Intel adopted. Give it a try, that'll definitely make things better.

Yes, save your settings, reflash, boot up, restore and it will reboot automatically, and everything should be fine after that. You can still edit those settings I mentioned, but give it a try and see how it works first.

Just to be sure...

Settings -> Config -> Save Config

Then boot to it, then:

Settings -> config -> upload config

?

ProtoSD

MVP
That's it, after you upload your saved config it will automatically reboot again.

S

shackrock

That's it, after you upload your saved config it will automatically reboot again.

So far so good...

So, when I want to update to 8.0.1, I can just use the:

Settings -> Firmware update?

ProtoSD

MVP
You'll have to check the release notes when that happens. I'm not sure if it's considered a Firmware or Service Pack, but that's the general idea.

crazy1m

Cadet
I am also getting this error message after a crash where the shares are not available anymore. A reboot and it is good for antoher 3 or 4 weeks. I am using a P4 775 830 CPU with 2GB DDR2 memory along with an AsRock motherboard, 80 Maxtor HDD for the OS and a hardware based Raid 5 350 GB. Do I also need the AMD64 version?

ProtoSD

MVP
If it's a 64bit processor INTEL or AMD you should use the AMD64 version. I think your processor is one of the early 64bit processors.

crazy1m

Cadet
kmem error

That being said do I still need to change the vm.kmem configurations with the AMD64? I am very new to this type of NAS software. Only the second one I have built and the first is version 7 without issues so far.

Durkatlon

Patron
No, don't put any kmem settings in the loader.conf for the amd64 build. By default the kmem_size on amd64 will be equal to your physical memory, which is a good setting. Note that these are virtual address spaces, so just because your kmem map equals your physical memory in total size, does not mean that the system won't have any RAM left for other things.

The tricky part in i386 comes because the addressable memory is only 4GB and this address space is shared between kernel and user space. In amd64 there is no such restriction.

Status
Not open for further replies.