PANIC! All data wiped. Who can help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

josh

Cadet
Hi,
I am facing a scary problem:
I have a Server 1 with FreeNas 8.0.1 running wit 6 3 TB drives in an ZFS2 System. Set up a second machine with 6 2 TB ZFS Sytem and wanted to rsync the /mnt/Volume1 of the Server 1 to Server 2 as backup. Started Client/Server setup on both machines. When I started to rsync it wouldn't do it properly, stating that it could not find the sub volumes on Volume1, namely zfs shares. The strange thing is that the Volumes he could not sync were in fact old Names of the volumes which had been changed later in OSX.
Later I found some data on server 2, but it was out of sync and strangely mixed up so I deleted everything on server 2 to start all over.
I did not rsync with the option to delete trashed files on server 1 when trashed on server 2!!!

But the desaster happened and all my data on server 1 disappeared as well as on server2! Strange enough: the names of the volumes were the old ones as if an old snapshot had been rolled back.

Now even my snaphot directory is gone, I thought this was read only?

Is there any chance to recover anything. Could a scrub help. Where can I find logs which might help to analyze the desaster?

PLEASE HELP ME!!!! SOMEONE, PLEASE!

leenux_tux

Patron
Not sure if this will help at all but, just in case there is something "off" with your install......

It may be worth trying (if you have the spare hardware) installing FreeNAS on to a new box, attaching the drives from one of the systems, and importing your ZFS pool. Try one set one one machine, if that does not work, try the other set from the other machine.

You never know, may bring something back for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.