ownCloud vs ownCloud plugin of FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdimuzio

Dabbler
Hi,
which differences from a ownCloud system and the plugin ownCloud of FreeNAS ?

We are evaluating to install the plugin (we already have a SAN FreeNAS based), but i'd like to know the differences between the ownCloud system (standalone installation on a server) and the plugin for FreeNAS.

Why install the one or the other ?

Tnx

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
the plugin uses sqlite which is not recommended for large installations. otherwise, it's pretty much identical to any other install, as it's a php application running on a webserver+php+database stack.

if you want optimal performance you should install it using a mysql based database. there is a guide I wrote in the how-to section, as well as another guide, but I don't know if it uses mysql.

mdimuzio

Dabbler
the plugin uses sqlite which is not recommended for large installations. otherwise, it's pretty much identical to any other install, as it's a php application running on a webserver+php+database stack.

if you want optimal performance you should install it using a mysql based database. there is a guide I wrote in the how-to section, as well as another guide, but I don't know if it uses mysql.

Tnx Joshua,
but which extra features offers the standalone installation of ownCloud that the FreeNAS-plugin doesn't just offers ?

Tnx again,
Marco.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
feature wise there is no difference.

Nick2253

Wizard
The difference between a DIY jail and the Owncloud plugin are fairly minimal, depending on your use case. The biggest feature difference is the database, like Josh said: if you want to provide lots of files, you'll want to DIY.

However, if you plan to expose your owncloud to the public internet, there are some things to keep in mind:
  • If you use the plugin, you are at the mercy of the plugin maintainer to update the plugin. If you DIY, you control the updates.
  • If you go DIY, you'll know exactly what software is involved, and how it's configured. That can hopefully limit your attack surface.
  • If you go DIY, you'll learn a lot about the jail architecture, which is a great way to expand your knowledge of FreeBSD and FreeNAS.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
The difference between a DIY jail and the Owncloud plugin are fairly minimal, depending on your use case. The biggest feature difference is the database, like Josh said: if you want to provide lots of files, you'll want to DIY.

However, if you plan to expose your owncloud to the public internet, there are some things to keep in mind:
  • If you use the plugin, you are at the mercy of the plugin maintainer to update the plugin. If you DIY, you control the updates.
  • If you go DIY, you'll know exactly what software is involved, and how it's configured. That can hopefully limit your attack surface.
  • If you go DIY, you'll learn a lot about the jail architecture, which is a great way to expand your knowledge of FreeBSD and FreeNAS.
good points.

on your second point, with the plugin you could still update owncloud using owncloud's own update feature. but for underlying dependencies they would be impossible to update without a new plugin version being released.

Status
Not open for further replies.