Owncloud plugin is complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronouthier

Explorer
I am getting two different notifications from the Owncloud WebUI:

1. A new version of Owncloud is available. It shows an update to 7.0.4 is available, however the Owncloud site states that 8.0.0 is out.

2. Something about OpenOffice or LibreOffice files are missing from the Owncloud install.

Can these be remedied? Is there an easy way to do this, or is a new plugin needed?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I am getting two different notifications from the Owncloud WebUI:

1. A new version of Owncloud is available. It shows an update to 7.0.4 is available, however the Owncloud site states that 8.0.0 is out.

2. Something about OpenOffice or LibreOffice files are missing from the Owncloud install.

Can these be remedied? Is there an easy way to do this, or is a new plugin needed?
1) What version of owncloud are you running? owncloud 8 is out but isn't available to the updater app for a few days.

2) the owncloud 7 plugin doesn't include libreoffice which is used to edit(by converting) DOC(X) files. I plan on adding this for the owncloud 8 plugin.

aaronouthier

Explorer
Hello,
What is the status of the OwnCloud 8 plugin update? Also, once it is released, how will I know and update? 7.0.2 is currently installed on my FreeNAS.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hello,
What is the status of the OwnCloud 8 plugin update? Also, once it is released, how will I know and update? 7.0.2 is currently installed on my FreeNAS.
Working on it right now. There's alot of things I need to do/test so it might take me several days/weeks.

You won't know unless you check the Plugins tab and see version 8.0.0 available.
You wont be able to update from previous owncloud installs because I am switching the database from sqlite to mysql.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You wont be able to update from previous owncloud installs because I am switching the database from sqlite to mysql.

Whoa! Glad I don't use the plugin! MySQL can be quite the piggy!

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Whoa! Glad I don't use the plugin! MySQL can be quite the piggy!
I don't even think the OC6/7 plugins could do minor updates (7.0.2>7.0.3) on their own because of the ownership of the owncloud source files! I'm hoping to fix this with OC8 version.

When you say mysql is a pig, I assume you mean RAM usage? I just tested out a virgin install and it's using 458MB of RAM! That's making me re-think the switch over.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
When you say mysql is a pig, I assume you mean RAM usage? I just tested out a virgin install and it's using 458MB of RAM! That's making me re-think the switch over.

Yep. RAM usage. You just saw firsthand why I've advocated against going with MYSQL for the plugin. Quite a few have asked for MySQL to be in the plugin. The problem is that you either accept the small home users (and don't go with mysql) or you cater to the larger enterprise users (who *love* to get enterprise stuff for free) and alienate those small home users who might be forced to buy more RAM just for the sake of a plugin. Several people have asked for the plugin to be recreated for MySQL so they can use it for large scale enterprise deployments. I always told them "fine, pay someone to setup your Owncloud server instead of trying to bend a little plugin that really is designed for home users". If you look in bugs.freenas.org there's probably a few tickets that have been closed over the last 2 years where I advocated against it and successfully won. My opinion is that plugins should be for small office and home users. Those people won't need something that is big and fat like mysql, and they will see only downsides to the switch. Enterprises really shouldn't be relying on plugins anyway, and if they are they are a fool for doing so (in my opinion).

So choose wisely! The plugin's future depends on you deciding who you want to cater to. ;)

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Yep. RAM usage. You just saw firsthand why I've advocated against going with MYSQL for the plugin. Quite a few have asked for MySQL to be in the plugin. The problem is that you either accept the small home users (and don't go with mysql) or you cater to the larger enterprise users (who *love* to get enterprise stuff for free) and alienate those small home users who might be forced to buy more RAM just for the sake of a plugin. Several people have asked for the plugin to be recreated for MySQL so they can use it for large scale enterprise deployments. I always told them "fine, pay someone to setup your Owncloud server instead of trying to bend a little plugin that really is designed for home users". If you look in bugs.freenas.org there's probably a few tickets that have been closed over the last 2 years where I advocated against it and successfully won. My opinion is that plugins should be for small office and home users. Those people won't need something that is big and fat like mysql, and they will see only downsides to the switch. Enterprises really shouldn't be relying on plugins anyway, and if they are they are a fool for doing so (in my opinion).

So choose wisely! The plugin's future depends on you deciding who you want to cater to. ;)
That's what I'm struggling with. I've gotten to the point I have a decent OC8 plugin using apache(and sqlite).
Gonna ask around, but one idea someone had before was having an owncloud-mysql alternative.

Agreed about the reliablilty, the current PBI/API implementation are fine for my MediaBrowser jail, but for my personal ownCloud I wouldn't rely on plugins and rather run it in a jail from source.

####

One other dilemma I have is if I include libreoffice for DOC(X) editing/(pre)viewing. Including it makes the plugin go from 96MB to 188MB, and that's highly compressed. That means if I ever do have to push an update through FreeNAS it's going to take forever and probably fail.

VTecheira

Dabbler
I've been working on a version that will include the option for MySql but I don't include the DB. I imagine that the folks like me who would care for MySql would already have an instance running... so you would get the option of SQLite locally, or MySQL on the network. It would also resolve some of the update problems, and include some of the more useful OC apps... In addition I went with nginx and php-fpm for the processing.

Joshua I might PM you later for some help. Manually starting works fine, but the but I keep running into issues with the plugin integration because I grabbed the latest version of django.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I've been working on a version that will include the option for MySql but I don't include the DB. I imagine that the folks like me who would care for MySql would already have an instance running... so you would get the option of SQLite locally, or MySQL on the network. It would also resolve some of the update problems, and include some of the more useful OC apps... In addition I went with nginx and php-fpm for the processing.

Joshua I might PM you later for some help. Manually starting works fine, but the but I keep running into issues with the plugin integration because I grabbed the latest version of django.
did you use my source to start with?
github.com/josh4trunks/freenas-plugins

that should get you 90% there. I know what steps would need to be taken to switch to mysql.

As for django, im using a ports tree from Sep 2014, and manually update relevant ports. this is because, as far as I know, PBIs don't compile on FreeBSD 9.x otherwise because of the switch to pkg(-ng)

VTecheira

Dabbler
Yes I did... and I'm learning painfully about the ports tree issue. I got my PBIs to compile... and they deploy Ok... if I manually start them they work. The main issues is I updated to django 1.7.3 which required updating some of your scripts, and that wasn't too bad. But dojango is stuck at 0.5.7 in freshports and only 0.5.8 is compatible with the latest django. So now I'm debating whether to roll back (very likely since I don't really use any django/dojango) features or manually update dojango and see if I run into any other issues.

I also have a minor issue with the libraries... I haven't figured how to get it loaded into the PBI automatically. Right now I have a script set to run
ldconfig -m /usr/pbi/owncloud_dir/lib

But admittedly I haven't put a whole lot of thought there yet.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Yes I did... and I'm learning painfully about the ports tree issue. I got my PBIs to compile... and they deploy Ok... if I manually start them they work. The main issues is I updated to django 1.7.3 which required updating some of your scripts, and that wasn't too bad. But dojango is stuck at 0.5.7 in freshports and only 0.5.8 is compatible with the latest django. So now I'm debating whether to roll back (very likely since I don't really use any django/dojango) features or manually update dojango and see if I run into any other issues.

I also have a minor issue with the libraries... I haven't figured how to get it loaded into the PBI automatically. Right now I have a script set to run
ldconfig -m /usr/pbi/owncloud_dir/lib

But admittedly I haven't put a whole lot of thought there yet.
yeah, it's a mess. the libraries is another issue too, I think the PBI-ng in 10+ will fix this but, that's not for a while.

As for django/dojango I read about how syntax changed/got simplified with 1.7 but I haven't made the switch because of my mostly frozen ports tree. I'll tackle this with FN10.

for libraries I usually get around this with an external-links file. not pretty...
what's nice about apache is you can specify some commands to run to setup your environment and I set $PATH and $LD_LIBRARY_PATH there, i don't think that's an option with nginx.

VTecheira

Dabbler
If there's serious interest in an OC w/ nGinx & MySql + apps version I'll put my time to it, but if not I'll just keep tinkering on my own schedule until I get it. Joshua at some point I'll reactivate my Git and formally fork it so you can see the things I've done if you're interested.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
If there's serious interest in an OC w/ nGinx & MySql + apps version I'll put my time to it, but if not I'll just keep tinkering on my own schedule until I get it. Joshua at some point I'll reactivate my Git and formally fork it so you can see the things I've done if you're interested.
I was thinking of doing this before as well, but I think the market of people who want to put OC into production would tend towards a non-plugin install. my guide in the How-Tos is basically what you'd end up with.

I'm not sure why you would include apps. can't they just install apps through the market?

VTecheira

Dabbler
Yes, but many can't be installed directly from the app manager. I maybe looking at the problem wrong though. How many folks are technical enough to do FreeNAS and plugins and are not williing/able to manually install additional apps is very small. I usually think these are features I'd like, let me share them with others.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Yes, but many can't be installed directly from the app manager. I maybe looking at the problem wrong though. How many folks are technical enough to do FreeNAS and plugins and are not williing/able to manually install additional apps is very small. I usually think these are features I'd like, let me share them with others.
yeah, OC has a few of these (I personally use news and notes). I'd hope these get worked out eventually so they can be installed from the apps page.

Status
Not open for further replies.