Out of swap sapce?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just received a email output from my FreeNAS last night.

Code:
FreeNAS.local kernel log messages:
> swap_pager_getswapspace(16): failed
> swap_pager_getswapspace(12): failed
> pid 80965 (proftpd), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space

Do i have a issue on my hands?

GrumpyBear

Contributor
Boy with 48GB of RAM if you are starting to page and it's not there then yes Houston you have a problem. But I'll leave it to someone who has more familiarity with the internals to give you a hint at what that might be.

You didn't override the default 2GB per disk for swap did you?

I haven't overwritten anything lol, I installed 9.3 installed the latest updates at the time, tested my drives, moved my data, redid my virtualization stuff, and here I am lmao.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Recommend you try to isolate the services you have running. I'm not smart enough to really help out either but it's a start. Did you upgrade to 9.3 or did you do a clean install?

I did a fresh install, did 1 update, some stuff broked, did another update, and the stuff i needed worked. The only services im using are: CIFS , FTP , SMART , and SSH.

Here is a screenshot of the swap usage, but i think i can determine what occurred just from the screenshot.

My thoughts: Is its from my short SMART test
>Short tests on days 3,6,9,12,18,21,24,27 , at 23:00 hours
>Long tests on days 1 and 15 , at 23:00 hours

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-07 at 7.05.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-07 at 7.05.06 PM.png
    45.4 KB · Views: 264

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Something was wrong with your box. Some kind of process went into some kind of runaway status. I'd say look at stuff in top next time you see swapspace being used. That's how you are going to find out what is going haywire.

I would upgrade the OS if it is old. You didn't provide a version number, so I don't have a clue if you are using the 9.3-RELEASE version or a version that is just 2 weeks old. :P

Ooops. my bad cyber good call. I didnt think to include that....lol im currently on "FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201503170439" Which i know is a little old i just put off updating for the time being but i think ill do an update later tonight once the gf finishes her TV shows....

EDIT: Also i wasnt actively looking at the server at the time of the issue, i just got an email after it occurred

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So that version isn't the latest, but definitely "should" work properly.

I figured you weren't looking at top when it happened, but it is something to keep in mind and try to watch and catch it next time it happens.

I don't know if you rebooted or what, but the fact that it suddenly dropped to no swapspace used makes me wonder if the swapspace was freed when proftpd was killed. :P

Yea, im going to update shortly; within like 30 min lol. And no it didnt reboot or anything, the only thing i could think of was the SMART tests as its scheduled around that time, but never know of course. I'm going to keep an eye on it, install the latest update tonight, and move on and see what happens. This is also the first time it happened since I've installed FreeNAS and had everything running in what i'd consider "Production"

EDIT: Email came in at 3:01AM April 7th.

All righty, all up to date. It's now running "FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201503270027" as its latest. Here's hoping whatever occurred is resolved and doesnt happen again, or well i'll throw a bit more RAM at it and see if it doesnt resolve itself...after that ill have to stay up late baby sitting it lol

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There is a memory leak or two that are possible in FreeNAS 9.3's current build. The FreeBSD crew is trying to find them, and of course they will be patched here if they are confirmed and fixed.

There is a memory leak or two that are possible in FreeNAS 9.3's current build. The FreeBSD crew is trying to find them, and of course they will be patched here if they are confirmed and fixed.
Oh how i love this community :P Thanks for all the help as always Cyber! i'll see what i can poke around and find.

DataKeeper

Patron
With a run-a-way process or leak adding more ram will not help as it'll simply fill that as well. ie.. don't waste your money here. :) Best thing would be to try and reproduce the conditions and see if it happens again since the update.

With a run-a-way process or leak adding more ram will not help as it'll simply fill that as well. ie.. don't waste your money here. :) Best thing would be to try and reproduce the conditions and see if it happens again since the update.
this is true as well, I'm just gonna keep it on and let the email notifications roll in if the issue comes back

Status
Not open for further replies.