OS X 10.10: Can´t write to iSCSI volume any longer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiBok

Cadet
Hi all,
short description of the set up: latest Mac Pro w. 10.10 and globalSAN mounts HP MicroServer w. FreeNAS 9.2.1.6 via iSCSI as Time Machine volume. Worked flawless for the last 5 months. Starting two weeks ago the backups started failing and there are those error messages in the logs:
Feb 18 10:33:37 iscsi4 istgt[2525]: istgt_lu_disk.c:4130:istgt_lu_disk_lbwrite: ***ERROR*** lu_disk_write() failed
Feb 18 10:33:37 iscsi4 istgt[2525]: istgt_lu_disk.c:6313:istgt_lu_disk_execute: ***ERROR*** lu_disk_lbwrite() failed
Feb 18 10:33:37 iscsi4 istgt[2525]: istgt_lu_disk.c:4130:istgt_lu_disk_lbwrite: ***ERROR*** lu_disk_write() failed
Feb 18 10:33:37 iscsi4 istgt[2525]: istgt_lu_disk.c:6313:istgt_lu_disk_execute: ***ERROR*** lu_disk_lbwrite() failed
Same errors occure when you try to copy a folder structure to the volume: folders and sub folders are created, files with less than 100 bytes (? found no larger ones) failed with "error accesing file" from finder.
Recovering files from the time machine backup is working without any problems, about 2 TB of the 8 TB Raid 5 are free, nothing else in the logs, no other services on the FreeNAS box.
I found some indication that it might be a problem of not enough ram (4 GB installed) but I won´t throw any new hardware in that might not solve the problem.

Best regards,

Mike

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
1. Minimum ram requirements is 8GB, suggested ram when using iscsi is 16GB.
2.You should also not be using a hardware raid unless you meant to say raidz1 and not raid5. And at that point I would suggest not using raidz1 because you will probably lose your data.
3. You should NOT fill a volume past 50% full when using iscsi.

From your single post I can see these things are wrong with your setup and possibly much more. Number 1 and 2 could be possible reasons for the error you are seeing. You defiantly need more memory even if it doesn't fix your problem because at this point your system is unsupported and people won't be willing to help until you fix that.

EDIT: fixed typo

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

MiBok

Cadet
Hi,
thanks for the fast reply.
1. Minimum ram requirements is 8GB, suggested ram when using iscsi is 16GB.
Ok, had to admit this little box is a bit older and hat started earlier with FreeNAS so we will upgrade the memory.

2.You should also not be using a hardware raid unless you meant to say raidz1 and not raid5. And at that point I would suggest not using raidz1 because you will probably lose your data.
Sorry, yes it´s a Raidz1 with a hot spare.

3. You should NOT fill a volume past 50% full when using iscsi.
Can´t find that in the users guide. But how to bypass that problem - Growing the zvol?

Best regards,

Mike

MiBok

Cadet
Hi,
finally received the 16 GB memory upgrade for the box but it doesn´t fix the problem. I´ll try to grow the volume and come back to report the result.
Best regards,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.