OpenVPN jail gives error in console

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cougar014

Explorer
Hi everyone,

Recently I have installed a OpenVPN jail in Freenas 9.10 according to this guide:
https://www.kirkg.us/posts/running-an-openvpn-server-in-a-freenas-910-jail/

The problem is that when i have "NAT" disabled in the jail configuration (as supposed in the guide) I can't ping any website and can't download/install anything. (templates etc..)
So I installed everything I needed for the jail with "NAT" enabled and everything worked so far so good.
But when i checked the main console I have multiple errors/messages which continuesly keeps popping up.
These errors are:
freenas kernel: arp: 88:03:55:c3:38:80 is using my IP address 192.168.2.254 on bridge0
and
freenas kernal: arp f4:06:8d:40:10:45 attempts to modify permanent entry for 192.168.2.8 on vmx1

Also, when restarting the OpenVPN jail i get these errors/messages (i dont get these on server reboot):
freenas kernal: ng_ether_ifnet_arrival_event: can't rename node epair0b!
freenas mountd[1782]: can't get address info for host 10.0.59.50/24
freenas mountd[1782]: bad host 10.0.59.50/24, skipping
freenas mountd[1792]: bad exports list line /mnt/Pool_1/vmware_nfs/ -maproot

This is the ouput form the 'ifconfig' command from the freenas shell:
Freenas shell screen1.png

And this is the output from the 'ifconfig' command from the OpenVPN jail:
OpenVPN jail screen2.png

I run freenas in a VMware VM.
The Freenas VM has 2 virtual NIC's (vmx0 is the 10.0.59.50 for internal storage purpose)
(vmx1 is the 192.168.2.15 and is for management purpose)
Only the vmx1 NIC has acces to the modem/internet. (modem/router: 192.168.2.254)
I have the default gateway filled in in the network configuration
And the primary and secondary DNS filled in nameserver 1 and 2.

I hope someone understand whats the problem,
Thanks in advance!

Hidde

Last edited:

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Hi everyone,

Recently I have installed a OpenVPN jail in Freenas 9.10 according to this guide:
https://www.kirkg.us/posts/running-an-openvpn-server-in-a-freenas-910-jail/

The problem is that when i have "NAT" disabled in the jail configuration (as supposed in the guide) I can't ping any website and can't download/install anything. (templates etc..)
So I installed everything I needed for the jail with "NAT" enabled and everything worked so far so good.
But when i checked the main console I have multiple errors/messages which continuesly keeps popping up.
These errors are:
freenas kernel: arp: 88:03:55:c3:38:80 is using my IP address 192.168.2.254 on bridge0
and
freenas kernal: arp f4:06:8d:40:10:45 attempts to modify permanent entry for 192.168.2.8 on vmx1

Also, when restarting the OpenVPN jail i get these errors/messages (i dont get these on server reboot):
freenas kernal: ng_ether_ifnet_arrival_event: can't rename node epair0b!
freenas mountd[1782]: can't get address info for host 10.0.59.50/24
freenas mountd[1782]: bad host 10.0.59.50/24, skipping
freenas mountd[1792]: bad exports list line /mnt/Pool_1/vmware_nfs/ -maproot

This is the ouput form the 'ifconfig' command from the freenas shell:
View attachment 15954

And this is the output from the 'ifconfig' command from the OpenVPN jail:
View attachment 15955

I run freenas in a VMware VM.
The Freenas VM has 2 virtual NIC's (vmx0 is the 10.0.59.50 for internal storage purpose)
(vmx1 is the 192.168.2.15 and is for management purpose)
Only the vmx1 NIC has acces to the modem/internet. (modem/router: 192.168.2.254)
I have the default gateway filled in in the network configuration
And the primary and secondary DNS filled in nameserver 1 and 2.

I hope someone understand whats the problem,
Thanks in advance!

Hidde
Since you are already using ESXi, I suggest you implement OpenVPN in a separate VM instead of in a jail. This is what I did on my All-in-One (FreeNAS on ESXi) system, using CentOS 7 as the VM operating system. You can re-use the certificate files you've already created when you set up the new OpenVPN server.

Also, you may want to consider changing your LAN IP scheme. Class 'C' networks like the one you're using (192.168.2.x/24) are commonly used at internet cafes, hotels, coffee shops, guest networks, etc. and therefore are more likely to clash with your LAN network when you connect via OpenVPN. To avoid this problem, I re-IP'd my LAN to use a specific 172.x.x.x class 'B' network.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.