Only one replication allowed per dataset?!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamiejunk

Contributor
We need to replicate to another pool in the same datacenter. We also need to replicate offsite.

After upgrading to 9.3 while trying to setup replication to our offsite server I got the following error.

"Only one replication allowed per dataset"

Is this for real?! We need three copies of a file and one of those off site.
Is this the way freenas is going to be going forward? This can't be right.

Perhaps you could trick it by snapshoting the parent dataset and select recursive and then replicate that? Its a bit annoying however if that is the case.

Another option although I'm not sure how it would work in practice is to get your replicant machine to knock it onto the other replicant.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I've run into this as well. I've heard it might be improved in FreeNAS 10. For the time being, I'm using ZREP to replicate off site. I use the builtin replication and snapshotting for the first backup copy.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
This is how FreeNAS replication has *always* worked. ZFS holds have limitations, and the devs didn't bother trying to come up with innovative ways to work around them (and yes, there are ways to work around them, but adding the feature is very very non-trival).

Nothing is stopping you from replicating offsite yourself. You can do manually or create a script that will work but will lack much of the reliability that FreeNAS' built-in code does automagically.

Status
Not open for further replies.