One of my drives died. Maybe??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jr922

Explorer
Recently FreeNAS reported it couldn't find one drive in my 6 drive z2 pool. I restarted the server and reseated the HDD in its bay; same thing, and it looks like maybe it was not getting any power because its LEDs were silent while the other 5 are busy.
So, I replaced it with another HDD and resilvered; everything is back to normal.
Then I take out the bad drive and I plug it in as an external on my PC format it and run a smart test; drive spins up fine, formatted successfully, and smart tests show nothing not even a pending sector.

Any ideas what gives? Maybe it's a bay issue?

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/updated-forum-rules-4-11-17.45124/

Please provide the exact build number of the system, which can be found at System ‣ Information, as well as the amount of RAM on the system. If additional hardware information is needed, you will be asked to attach a debug file. Debug files are created with the System ‣ Advanced ‣ Save Debug menu entry.

Hardware information is extremely important when diagnosing problems. This includes:
  • motherboard make and model
  • CPU make and model
  • RAM quantity
  • hard drives, quantity, model numbers, and RAID configuration
  • hard disk controllers
  • network cards

Jr922

Explorer
Right, here's some system info.

FreeNAS-11.1-RELEASE
Supermicro 846 24 bay case, SAS2 backplane
This one has a X11 board and Xeon e3-1230-v5
4x 6 disc raidz2 arrays. 3 have 8tb reds and 1 has 6tb HGST deskstar nas drives.
64gb of ddr4 ecc
HBA is a flashed IBM m1015.

Only issue is with the one 6tb drive in array 3 that was reported detached but seems fine.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Check out the link in my signature to troubleshoot hard drive failures, you may need to run badblock on it for completeness.

Also the output of the drive smart data would be helpful smartctl -x /dev/adx for example.

And with 24 drives you are running an expander backplane. That could easily be an intermittent error or signs that a port or the whole backplane could be going bad.

As joeschmuck said, do a burn in test on the drive in question to check it as it could be something that is not popping up right now but will after it is burned in. If it does disconnect or error during the process then the drive is bad. If it passes just fine then keep an eye on the array for a while in case worse things are yet to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.