One hard drive offline although it is plugged in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghwomb

Dabbler
I have n00b-crashed my system. At least sort of. I have four drives connected and visible from the GUI, but the zpool as a whole is in a degrades state.

Code:
root@freenas ~]# zpool status -v                                                                                                 
  pool: Spegel                                                                                                                     
state: DEGRADED                                                                                                                   
status: One or more devices has been taken offline by the administrator.                                                           
        Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a                                                       
        degraded state.                                                                                                           
action: Online the device using 'zpool online' or replace the device with                                                         
        'zpool replace'.                                                                                                           
  scan: resilvered 648K in 0h0m with 0 errors on Wed Dec 25 18:46:00 2013                                                         
config:                                                                                                                           

NAME                                            STATE    READ WRITE CKSUM                                                 
        Spegel                                          DEGRADED    0    0    0                                                 
          mirror-0                                      ONLINE      0    0    0                                                 
            gptid/79d002ed-1fca-11e3-abc8-d43d7ebc5ce0  ONLINE      0    0    0                                                 
            gptid/7e8a2009-1fca-11e3-abc8-d43d7ebc5ce0  ONLINE      0    0    0                                                 
          mirror-1                                      DEGRADED    0    0    0                                                 
            gptid/611c15da-6cf4-11e3-97f6-d43d7ebc5ce0  ONLINE      0    0    0                                                 
            12096590175165989692                        OFFLINE     0    0    0  was /dev/gptid/616d0201-6cf4-11e3-97f6-d43d7ebc5
ce0                                                                                                                               

errors: No known data errors

I think one of my hard drives is off-line, but I don't know how to bring it on-line again.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Use the manual. :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Ghwomb

Dabbler
Error: Disk replacement failed: "invalid vdev specification, use '-f' to override the following errors:, /dev/gptid/3d8c893d-6d94-11e3-9621-d43d7ebc5ce0 is part of active pool 'Spegel', "

Use the manual. :)

/quote]

I have tried the steps which I think is appropiate. But I get an error:
Code:
Error: Disk replacement failed: "invalid vdev specification, use '-f' to override the following errors:, /dev/gptid/3d8c893d-6d94-11e3-9621-d43d7ebc5ce0 is part of active pool 'Spegel', "

• Several reboots did not help.
  • I could not do these steps because of permission errors, which seems to be by proper design.
  • Quickwipe from GUI did not work at first, permission error.
  • Wipe with zeros from GUI worked. So I ran that, it stuck at 100%. Since the hard drives was not spinning I aborted after about half an hour.
  • Did quickwipe and it worked this time.
  • Rebooted
  • Now I could replace my drive as per step three.
  • Detached my ghost drive, as per step four.
  • The zpool status -v command reported that everything was OK, as did the GUI. But I could not get rid of the red light alert in the upper right corner until I rebooted.
To sum it all up, everything is back to normal.

FreeNAS and ZFS must be some of the most excellent code written ever. Since it can withstand and survive such an onslaught of an inept amateur sysadmin. And nowhere in sight was the Windows motto "Reformat and reinstall the system" uttered.

Status
Not open for further replies.