Once modified, unable to revert root home directory via WebGUI

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoomzoom

Guru
I changed the root home directory to the users directory I use for all all other users (/mnt/nas-system/users), as I store scripts and system files I've modified that need to be copied over after an update in the root home folder (/root), which is not ideal due to /root being wiped after an update (I'm on nightlies).
  • I realized after changing the root home directory, all jails created now have the new directory (/mnt/nas-system/users/root) specified as their root home directory, which creates a major problem since ~ is now broken in all [non-plugin] jails created (not sure about plugin jails, as I don't use them).
Code:
[root@crashplan-1] /# cd ~
/mnt/nas-system/users/root: No such file or directory.

The WebGUI requires the home directory to be on a dataset other than boot, also creating a problem is the boot dataset is not shown, ergo, once changed via the WebGUI, it's no longer possible to revert back to /root on the boot dataset for root's home directory.
  • While reverting root's home directory back to /root will save successfully in the WebGUI, it will remain unchanged after the save.
    • Changing via chsh root doesn't work either.
  • I also noticed when I went to edit root, and accidentally clicked on daemon instead, after selecting save I received the error "Home directory has to start with /mnt/ or be /nonexistent"
    • Possible expected behavior as a safe guard against unintentional editing of system users?
I'm not sure if this is expected behavior or a bug, and if it is expected behavior, what is the recommended procedure to revert root's home directory back to the boot dataset via cli?

Last edited:

zoomzoom

Guru
I've reported this as bug # 23615

Status
Not open for further replies.