Old Pool is Dead Slow Can figure it out

greidy78

Cadet
Ok so I had an old Freenas setup that I stored a bunch of stuff on and it acted as a Time Machine for one of my Macs. Recently I have had some interest in firing it up to explore some of the data before retiring it forever.

I have tried this a few times all with the same result it is extremely slow, to the point transfer rates are in the KB/s range , simply even going through the file browser is painful. So I had a newer (compared to the NAs's) motherboard lying around so I switched everything over hoping that was some o the problem. Nothing
I then upgraded to Truenas and imported the pool. Same thing..

I thought I would try scrubbing it and it is saying that alone will take thousands of days. The Cpu is an old I7-2600k, it has 16GB of memory. The dashboard show both memory usage and CPU usage never higher than a couple percent..
I can not figure it out. I just want to copy the data out so I can look through it and then kill it...

Any ideas?
Thnks in advance.

1615001315865.png
1615001436711.png

Apollo

Wizard
Strange thing to retire a backup/archiving server.
What are the make and models of the drives that are part of ARRAY1?

You ran a scrub just a few hours ago and it could report incorrect complition time, but shouldn't take longer than the time it took for the big bang to make it's way here.

greidy78

Cadet
The Array is made up of 5 WDC WD30EZRX's the scrub sped up a bit now its now almost 1% done...lol
you should see how long it takes to copy a photo off the pool to my local... just under 30min flat

pschatz100

Guru
You need to provide your complete system specs before it will be possible to make any specific suggestion. But from the screenshot, it would appear that your motherboard is using Realtek nic's, which are notoriously unreliable. Other than slow network performance, have there been any error messages?