Offsite Mini ITX build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epism

Dabbler
Morning,

Looking to put a new system together, its sole purpose is to be offsite backup. Also I am only backing up non replaceable data about 4.5TB of (family photos, phantom projects, other personal stuff). Media, games, and other easily reacquired data is not this things concern. Looking to purschase soon since the cloud has issues (Amazon and Rclone), family (misplaced) one of the externals I sent them leaving me with one more local external at a co workers house.

Case - Supermicro CSE-721TQ-250B
MB - Supermicro Mini ITX A1SRI-2558F-O (I know this CPU series had issues, but unsure if it's been fixed or if it was other atom boards that had those issues.)
Ram - 16GB Kingston ECC (trying to find Micron/Samsung unless Kingston is fine?)
Storage - 4x 3TB Reds 5400 (in ZFS1)
Boot - Supermicro 16GB Satadom or other small SSD

Thanks in advance on any inputs.

Dice

Wizard
if it was other atom boards that had those issues.
Typically it was the Asrock series having problems related to BMC / BIOS. Yours should be fine.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
MB - Supermicro Mini ITX A1SRI-2558F-O
The C2550 is a significantly better choice for NAS. C2558 is meant for network stuff.

Epism

Dabbler
Typically it was the Asrock series having problems related to BMC / BIOS. Yours should be fine.

Thanks. I would assume that it would be safe to purchase an Asrock now, trying to find non Kingston SODIMM is a bit of a pain.

The C2550 is a significantly better choice for NAS. C2558 is meant for network stuff.

Thanks, a quick read of let me see that one board supports turbo boost vs the others quick assist. Really just at the point of hunting down RAM.

Edit: Should say its a pain to find on Amazon, found it on Newegg (sold out) and on crucial home page, there goes picking everything up from one place.

Last edited:

gpsguy

If you plan on going the Asrock route, you could buy a FreeNAS Mini, since it uses the same parts and comes pre-assembled. :smile:

... there goes picking everything up from one place.

Status
Not open for further replies.