Odd Link Speeds w/SAS Expander

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColPanic

Dabbler
I'm getting some odd connection speeds (reported via smartctl) on disks connected to a HP SAS expander.

I have an LSI 9240 in IT mode connected to a SAS expander by 2 8087 cables but the reported link speeds are inconsistent- almost random with an assortment of HDDs and SSDs. It's in a p4000m chassis and 8 WD RE 3TB drives connected to the Intel backplane all report 1.5 gbs. But I have some hitachi 7k3000 drives connected via 8088 sata fannout that report 3gbps but if I move a WD drive down there it drops to 1.5. All the drives are sata 3 (6gb). I know that the HP SAS expander will only negotiate SATA at 3 gbps, which is fine for spinners, but with SSDs I'd like to at least get 3gbps. Any ideas?

And lastly, I'm running esxi and passing through the HBA. is there any downside to just getting a couple more 6gb HBAs and ditching the expander? 9200s are just $30-$40 on eBay and I have the pcie slots. Would it be bad to have a slog on one HBA and the array on the other or can it be mixed up? I'm going to end up with 20 HDDs and 4 SSDs.

maglin

Patron
Take one of those cables off the expander. You might not have a multipath expander or its set up wrong. You might need to set some jumpers on the expander for IT mode and speed. I would look into that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.