nullfs, FreeNAS and right approach

Status
Not open for further replies.

EsTaF

Contributor
Hi, all.
Sometimes people want mount one directory to other. On Linux, BSD OS I can do it and it's a simple action. I just add line as for for example the such "/media1/media/movies /mnt/media1/media/zones/zalman/movies nullfs rw 0 0"
Before to ask that ask, had read different topics from google, but can't found comprehensible responses. Myabe I just was searching it not one+ days, but I thing, that if I will search it about week, that I won't found it anyway.
Me need it not for jails' moment only.
How right create settings in FreeNAS for that moment, People?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Nullfs is used in FreeNAS to mount datasets into a jail. You can probably do this to any directory but that could cause strange problems. Would symlinks work for you?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

EsTaF

Contributor
Nullfs is used in freenas to mount datasets into a jail. You can probably do this to any directory but that could cause strange problems. Would symlinks work for you?

Are symlinks?
Synlinks "works" not always.
For example, if I'll backup nas over smb/nfs, that I rsync'ing not directories, but symlinks. I can add option for rsync command, that it copy symlinks as real files/directories, but I have symlinks also (not for nullfs mount workaround) and this symlinks will copied as real objects also. It's not good idea for me.
Hadn't thinking, that it's a great problem there as and a transmission installing https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/transmissions-jail-cant-connect-to-any-network.54111/

EsTaF

Contributor
Perhaps I'm wrong. But, for example, I want dont copy some linked folder. with fstab I just comment some points in fstab and unmount it. with links, I must remove links in sh and after copying link it again. uncomfortable. be "create" a long lines after ln -s command or just unmount it.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
The language barrier and you not explaining what you want to do is making this hard. I think I have done all I can.

EsTaF

Contributor
I just couldn't find examples. links vs mount points.
One of examples: I want to get ftp access for certainly folder, that is not ftp user place.
/mnt/media1/ftp/ftpuser
and
/mnt/media1/sambamedia
under simple os i just to create mount point (/mnt/media1/sambamedia/music > /mnt/media1/ftp/ftpuser/musicuser), set acl permissioms with setfacl and get access for ftp user to /mnt/media1/sambamedia/music.
If I create symlink that I will watch a link file only. not virtual folder.

EsTaF

Contributor
mount -t nullfs /mnt/media1/media/win/ /mnt/media1/ftp/winuser/win/
echo "mount -t nullfs /mnt/media1/media/win/ /mnt/media1/ftp/winuser/win/" >> /conf/base/etc/rc.d/rc.local
chmod +x /conf/base/etc/rc.d/rc.local

Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.