nuke;pave

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfl

Dabbler
I need a bit of advice whether update in-place should work or if I should really go for a clean install.

Long story short, I hadn't updated my installation in a while seeing as my use basically constitutes of SMB & FTP access (nothing fancy with plugins etc.) and the last time I updated Corral was still a thing. I suspect this has something to do with my update failing (system wouldn't start after update - everything but middleware & freenasui shows 11.1-U4 while middleware and freenasui show Corral 10.0.2). I'm wondering if I should simply wipe my installation and re-import the pools (that means I'd need to re-create users, permission folders etc.). Is there a way to upgrade in-place in a case like this where Corral was installed or is it just too different from 11 to work ?

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
I guess the real question is are you happy/content with what you are currently running?

I am still using 9.10 and see no reason to really upgrade; since everything works that I need.

sfl

Dabbler
I guess the real question is are you happy/content with what you are currently running?

I am still using 9.10 and see no reason to really upgrade; since everything works that I need.

Very true, things do work if I don't change anything (that's why things were just fine for quite a while; simply used to drop scanned docs etc.) but the minute I try and change something via the Corral UI (like I was just doing to setup another account), something invariably fails on me so I thought it might be good to get on a branch people are paying attention to. On a side note, do you happen to know how heavy 11.x is comparatively to 9.x or 10.x (Corral feels a little sluggish (running on a simple dual core / 8g N40L) ?

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
On a side note, do you happen to know how heavy 11.x is comparatively to 9.x or 10.x (Corral feels a little sluggish (running on a simple dual core / 8g N40L) ?

11.x versions are similar to 9.10 in terms of demand for resources, at least when using the classic UI, which is still the default one. Right now I'm on 11.1-U4 and just like Mirfster I totally skipped Corral.

There is a guidance for migration from FreeNAS Corral to FreeNAS 9.10 / 11:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ng-from-freenas-corral-to-freenas-9-10-11.36/

joeschmuck

Old Man
I am running 11.1-U1 and U4 (two machines) both on ESXi, they run fine. I don't use a lot of features and only have one jail on my main FreeNAS machine. So while you have a simple no frills setup, this could be a worth while upgrade from a stability point of view.

To address your current issue to get you back on the road, hopefully you have a backup of your configuration before the upgrade, that will have all your user accounts in it, then reinstall Coral and restore the config file. All should work again as well as it did before you tried the upgrade.

My only real advice/comments here...
1) Backup all your data that you need to keep before any change.
2) If your pool is encrypted, do step 1 and do not upgrade to 11.0. People have lost data due to encryption issues.
3) Did I mention to backup your data?

Okay, seriously, your data "should not" be at risk but we always warn people that if it's important, it should be backed up.

4) If you feel like a fresh install is in order then make sure you have a backup of your config file just in case yiou find out things are not going well. Also, do not upgrade your pool if you have an alert stating to upgrade your pool for more features. Doing this could prevent you from rolling back to an earlier version of FreeNAS. Ensure you are good before upgrading your pool.

Reactions: sfl
Status
Not open for further replies.