NTP status: No response received from 23.239.26.89 | FreeNAS-11.2-BETA2

Status
Not open for further replies.

theCMack

Cadet
After upgrading to FreeNAS-11.2-BETA2 I am getting a constant alert about NTP status. It's very odd as the IP mentioned 23.239.26.89 resolves back hadb1.smatwebdesign.com? Looks like some web hosting company and I am not sure how it's relative to NTP or FreeNAS. Also I checked my NTP servers and they remain the defaults {0..2}.freebsd.pool.ntp.org. Has anyone else been getting this alert or does anyone know what is causing it and how to fix it?

I tried replacing the freebsd defaults with 0.uk.pool.ntp.org 1.uk.pool.ntp.org etc. and still have the same fault.
Tried restarting, deleting all NTP servers and re-adding, still get random errors:
New alerts:
* NTP status: 7 out of 8 probes failed
Alerts:
* NTP status: 7 out of 8 probes failed

Gone alerts:
* NTP status: 2 out of 8 probes failed
Alerts:

Gone alerts:
* NTP status: 4 out of 8 probes failed
Alerts:

All servers have identical NTP server settings, but randomly fail differently, sometimes 1 out of 8 (even thoughthere are only 5 listed) up to 7 out of 8.

Removed my email address from config because the spam was driving me mad.
Going to roll back to an earlier version and not stay up to date.

If I go for 9.1 now, then when 12 comes out I will upgrade to 11, that way I will no longer be an unpaid beta tester ;)

Sokonomi

Contributor
Mail alerts were screaming NTP errors at me too, no idea whats causing this.
As soon as I updated to BETA2 it started up.

Any important services that might get affected by this?
Does setting NTP to different pools fix anything?

Mail alerts were screaming NTP errors at me too, no idea whats causing this.
As soon as I updated to BETA2 it started up.

Any important services that might get affected by this?
Does setting NTP to different pools fix anything?

In short, no.
I tried replacing the freebsd defaults with 0.uk.pool.ntp.org 1.uk.pool.ntp.org etc. and still have the same fault.
Also tried just one NTP (pool.ntp.org), same issues.

dschuler`

Cadet
Removed my email address from config because the spam was driving me mad.
Going to roll back to an earlier version and not stay up to date.

If I go for 9.1 now, then when 12 comes out I will upgrade to 11, that way I will no longer be an unpaid beta tester ;)

Unless you're paying for support our purchased one of their systems, FreeNAS is doing a ton of good work and giving it to you for free also. It's not unreasonable to be an unpaid beta tester.

Unless you're paying for support our purchased one of their systems, FreeNAS is doing a ton of good work and giving it to you for free also. It's not unreasonable to be an unpaid beta tester.
We have 2 TrueNAS (purchased) systems in production, 6 FreeNAS boxes in the test platform.
FreeNAS is doing a ton of good work, which helps TrueNAS, which is revenue based.

alex_lana

Cadet
Same thing happening to me.

Protip: Go to System > Alert Settings to disable notifications for NTP status or just set to daily to reduce the emails.
Thanks, this will help stop the huge amount of messages.

alex_lana

Cadet
Same thing here. After upgrading, tons of messages arriving. I tried to change the NTP servers to nearby ones, but the problem persist.

wintered

Cadet
Same thing happening to me.

Protip: Go to System > Alert Settings to disable notifications for NTP status or just set to daily to reduce the emails.

This did it for me, until the underlying problem is resolved (likely beta3).

Status
Not open for further replies.