NTFS drive shows unknown

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfendya

Dabbler
Hey Guys - I'm running FreeNAS 9.1.1 and having a problem importing a drive formatted as NTFS. I'd like to only import it so I can use rsync to copy data to a ZFS volume.

The drive is 2TB in size however after the import operation, it only mounts it as a 823.5KB disk and shows "UNKNOWN" under Status.

Before putting it in my FreeNAS server I ensured it was unmounted within Windows and shut down Windows cleanly.

Any thoughts or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

cfendya

Dabbler
I ended up finding the problem out during a visit to a FreeBSD forum. Instead of Importing the Volume through the GUI, I SSH into my server and issued the following command.

ntfs-3g /dev/<device id> /mnt/<dir>
This caused an error stating -> fuse: failed to open fuse device: No such file or directory​
To correct this I issued the below command and then reissued the ntfs-3g command above:​
kldload fuse
Once this was done, I could see and access all files residing on the 2TB NTFS drive. I'm not using rsync to copy data from NTFS over to ZFS :)
Hope this helps someone!

petterrabbit

Cadet
dude, i ran into this exact same problem. I'm just backing up my files now via knoppix, and then I'm going to give this a shot. If it works this is epic.

Dusan

Guru
I'm not using rsync to copy data from NTFS over to ZFS :)
Why rsync and not just cp -a? Do you already have a partial copy of the data on the ZFS disk? If not, then cp would be much faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.