Not working - Broadcom BCM57710 NetXtreme II 10 GigE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crispin

Explorer
Hi Folks,

I have a Win7 box and a Freenas box each with a 10Gb NIC in. Previously the Freenas box had Solaris on and worked like a dream (I could get it to 50-60% utilization)
It is a simple CAT6 X-Over between the two boxes.

Now that I have put Freenas back on the box, I cannot use the connection.
I can see the NIC in the GUI and give it an address etc but no fire. When I try save it, the GUI shows nothing wrong but on the FN box I see the message:
Code:
ntpd[1525]: unable to create socket on bge0 (8) for [guid]

Another odd thing is that the win7 box thinks the cable is unplugged and neither NICs have any lights on.
Booting back into Sol and all is fine so the NICs are still good.

Any ideas? :confused:

edit:
OS Version: FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p1
Platform: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1075T Processor
System Time: Thu Jun 9 21:16:29 GMT 2011
Uptime: 9:16PM up 4 mins, 0 users
Load Average: 0.08, 0.36, 0.21
FreeNAS Build: FreeNAS-8.0-RELEASE-amd64

Thanks
Crispin

Crispin

Explorer
hmm, just sussed something...

The bge0 interface I am seeing in the GUI is actually another Broadcom 1Gb NIC I have in there and not the 10Gb. it would appear it is not installed.

ifconfig -a only shows the 3 Gb NICs and a loopback one. No 10Gb :(

mealan

Cadet
did you ever get this working?

hmm, just sussed something...

The bge0 interface I am seeing in the GUI is actually another Broadcom 1Gb NIC I have in there and not the 10Gb. it would appear it is not installed.

ifconfig -a only shows the 3 Gb NICs and a loopback one. No 10Gb :(

you ever get this working? why wouldn't they support a major 10gb nic? :( what driver can i install to get it to see it?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
you ever get this working? why wouldn't they support a major 10gb nic? :( what driver can i install to get it to see it?

They being the company that made the card? Often without some support from the manufacturer you won't EVER get a driver for the card. Yes, some manufacturers do NOT provide support for non-windows. LOL

yaneurabeya

Dabbler
They being the company that made the card? Often without some support from the manufacturer you won't EVER get a driver for the card. Yes, some manufacturers do NOT provide support for non-windows. LOL

Broadcomm does support their drivers (including bxe(4)). It just never was backported to 8.x (for some odd reason).

Status
Not open for further replies.