Not a good start...Help !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for reading this, I installed Freenas 9.3 on an HP Microserver, cute little thing, and the install went well onto a 32gb memory stick and found the 4 x 2TB drives. Selected striping to give me as much space as possible, and then prepared the drives and created a ZFS volume, a few sub directories documents, photos, etc. Shared this to my windows 10 laptop, and all going well added data into the store.
So its not the best place, the coffee table to be running servers, so i powered down and moved it back into the "Databedroom" it resides with all the other kit a boy needs.
Fired up the machine.went back to my laptop, and found logging back to the console the Installation was there but no configured drives as id had them, no volume or sub folders. no share, nada...
The drives are still there available to be configured but this states all data will be lost. Import seems to give the same declaration data will be lost if attempted, so i havnt gone any further. Just powered down and left it.

Im hoping the Community will be able to guide me in recovery of my Data, now some of which exists solely here. Is there a way to re attatch the drives as the volume and hence see the data again , bypassing the formatting/preparation of the drives as this is already there.? I guess theres about 250Gb of data there spanned across the four drives.

If there is a method id be very grateful, and also try to understand why it didint save the config , as had been using it for about 6 hrs?

Theres always hope.

Dave a very new noobie..

danb35

Hall of Famer
Selected striping to give me as much space as possible
recovery of my Data, now some of which exists solely here.
This is a very bad combination. You're aware, I hope, that when (not if) any of your drives fails, you will lose all your data. This isn't likely to be your immediate problem, but it's a big problem, and if you're going to be storing important data on this server, it's something you need to fix.

I don't know why the GUI appears to have lost your settings. But you should be able to use the Import Volume (not Import Disk) button to bring your pool back.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Prior to actually storing any vital data on this machine, did you perform any "Burn-In". See links in my sig for assistance; if done correctly it will take sometime (think at least a week)...

Also, can you please post System Configuration Information: Forum Rules

First may sincere thanks for saving the day to Danb35,, well done Sir.. I was able to Import Volume successfully and now after restoring the share permissions can access the data. a little over 100GB it seems.. Im going to take stock and revisit what and how i am going to use the NAS box for and reconsider in the light of a reprieve using Raid. I can offload the data rejig the box and back in time for tea lol.. Seriously,, i will now be able to re- sort it.
Mirfster thank you too for taking the time to read my cry for help,, no ,, I did int burn it in like you suggested, the box was my ex VMware 4 host brand new drives and NAS program on a memory stick.
I will however take things a little slower on my next install.
Many many thanks to both of you for your wise words.

As requested my setup is
HP Microserver N40 L AMD 1.5Ghz Turon Dual core Processor 8GB RAM
Storage 4x2TB Striped disks,,, yes I know,,,:)
FReeNAS 9.3 off a USB memory stick internally.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.