Noobie Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacAspirer

Dabbler
I am planning to build a freenas, with the following configuration i have,
I have mini-itx board with celeron processor, 4 sata ports, 8 GB of ddr3 ram, I am beginer, after getting my feet wet, i will change to ecc memory. I have 4 , 1 tb green hard drive, planning to configure to raid z5. to get a storage of 3tb.
My question is if i want to upgrade in future, change the motherboard and processor, will that effect the data that is stored, will the data still intact as it is supposed to be?
If I have another motherboard in future with 6 sata ports, can i transfer the hard drives to same raid z5 configuration, and also add volume with 2 more sata drives ? - any help and suggestions offered is appreciated.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
my suggestion is to start out with a two hard disk mirror. Don't place but a few files on
it until you learn how to properly administer the machine. When you are learned, buy
and build with proper hardware, paying strict attention to the recommendations found
in this forum. By then all the other questions you have asked today,
will have been long been answered.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yes, you can just move the drives and the boot device and you'll be running on the new system, minus network setup in the worst case.

You sound like you'd benefit from Cyberjock's guide (link is in my sig).

MacAspirer

Dabbler
Thank you very much. I reviewed cyberjock ppt. Understood the PowerPoint to an extent. Unless I get my hands dirty with freenas I will not get more experience.
It is great to hear that I can swap the motherboard out and keep the same hard drives as same volumes.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.