Noob questions about killing old Plex 9.x plugin on 11.3-U1 system

bwilliams

Cadet
Hello,
Hopefully someone can help me with a few questions.

I’m running a FreeNAS-11.3-U1 system, but have on old Plex plugin created in 9.x installed. I can no long access the old legacy web interface to stop or delete the old Plex 9.x plugin. All the media is stored on a FreeNAS ZFS pool. I originally created mappings for the different Plex media types to my ZFS pooled media.

A) How do I stop the old Plex Server service? I tried “service plexmediaserver stop” and it returned “plexmediaserver does not exist in /etc/rc.d or the local startup….”. Can I assume it did not start under 11.3-U1?
B) Should I try to transfer the settings from the old Plex into a new PlexPass install? Is it worth the trouble? If I remember it's basically mappings.
C) How do I completely delete the old Plex 9.x plugin? (most important issue)

Thanks for any help,
BWilliams

Caution – Caution –
No confirmation prompt appears with the zfs destroy subcommand. Use it with extreme caution.

Hello,

Ill give it a shot o whiskey

A) If its a 9.x jail its a warden jail and isnt going to start.

B) You might be better off starting from scratch as far as the Plex Install itll take some time and such to rebuild your libraries, but, complex mappings, many libraries which all need to now match the same mapped paths in the iocage jail as the warden one --could get complicated for someone not *nix inclined. Here is beautiful a thread in this forum on the subject. Totally doable, but far from a one command solution. A small library and its no choice that itll likely be quicker to just blow away all the old warden jails/datasets (carefully) and start new with iocage plugins/jails (which you have to do anyway) abandoning the old jails forever. At some point we all have had to do this. Whether to attempt migrate or just start new is the question you must answer.

C) When you are sure you are ready to proceed on this part you can do zfs list | grep 'plex*\|warden' to identify where the old plex and warden dataset is and destroy it. I would just be done with all warden created datasets/jails at this point, as they are useless, with the exception of recovery of files needed. Extreme care should be taken when issuing the zfs destroy command as a typo could really hose things so make sure the only datasets you destroy are prefaced with the word ".warden or plex" somewhere in the path, if you are unsure ask and somebody will tell you. As it is, the data is just sitting there idle and causing no harm other than wasted drive space. All jails made since you switched from 9.x to 11.3 will be prefaced with pool/iocage and should remain. In fact please post the output of the above command.

So for an example when you are ready and sure this is what you want, issue this command carefully amended for your system. Removing all traces of warden in your filesystem slowly and deliberately. Please read the zfs destroy manpage to better understand and clear up confusions you might have.

An EXAMPLE ONLY:

zfs destroy POOL/jails/plexmediaserver-plexpass_1
Caution – Caution –
No confirmation prompt appears with the destroy subcommand. Use it with extreme caution.

Yorick

Wizard
Keep in mind your metadata is in the old jail. If you manually split / joined movies, mapped them, that kind of thing, you might want your metadata.

If you want to keep your metadata, danb35's script can do that for you. I have a walkthrough for that up here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvM32lWc_r4

bwilliams

Cadet
Thanks John,
I was successful using your command zfs list | grep 'plex*\|warden'.
I going to wait until I’m sure I don’t need the old data before destroying the Warden data. I am curious why you suggest using the DESTROY rather than the BSD rm command?

I agree it would be just as easy to start from scratch on the Plex setup.

Thanks Yorick,
I have not decided to transfer the metadata yet. I will check out the danb35 script and your video.

Thanks for any help,
BWilliams

I dont think rm will get it, it will say "device busy". Its a mounted zfs dataset so the zfs destroy command should be used to remove these. You might even have to issue the zfs destroy command with the -r flag if there are snapshots or child datasets.