Non optimal pool combinations for backup storage servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

technopop

Dabbler
I'm pretty sure I'm going to at least make someone cringe and give me warnings.... But here goes.

I have 4 machines all running FreeNAS for a small video production company.

On-site, 1 workdisk, 1 archive and 1 backup. I'm working on a new offsite backup which I'd like to get some insight on what's going to be a terrible zfs setup.

Onsite workdisk is a 6 disk Z1 pool with two SSDs for ZIL and L2ARC and 10Gbe, it works very nicely so far for up to 6 editors working simultaneously with 4K video. (At least far better than the Win2k12 storage server that it replaced)

Onsite archive and backup are super micro chassis capable of taking 36 drives.

Onsite archive is configured optimally according to the calculator. 30 X 6TB drives making a pool of 3 Z2 vdevs. Video editors read data out of this machine infrequently while over the course of a year, 6-8TB gets written to it from the workdisk machine when projects are complete.

Onsite backup is non optimal with 24 X 6TB drives in two 12 drive Z2 vdevs. It receives data only from the archive server.

An off site backup that is going into a colocation facility is being built with a chassis that has a 24 physical drive limit. I'm tempted to put a single big fat z2 vdev there just to give us as much disk space as possible with a little bit of redundancy. The off site location is an hour's drive away from the office and connected via VPN with a speed of 15-20Mbps leaving the office.

Rsync is what synchronizes archive to the current backup although I'm thinking about doing zfs replication.

Recognizing that resilvering time when something goes wrong will be affected by the vdev sizes, my work disk and archive are optimally setup while the onsite backup is suboptimal and the proposed off site backup is going to be terrible, I am hoping that having the two backups should cover my butt if any one part of the system goes wrong. Is there any reason I should not setup my offsite backup that way?

Arwen

MVP
A single 24 disk RAID-Z2 vDev will have terrible IOPS, the equivalent of a single disk.
Using 2 x 12 disk vDev will have better IOPS, (Input, output Operations Per Second). Of
course, you loose 2 more disk slots if you still use RAID-Z2. And using RAID-Z1 with 2
x 12 disk vDevs is risky, especially so with huge disks.

By the way, 12 disk RAID-Z2 vDevs, while not ideal, are as you say, just sub-optimal.
Nothing wrong per say. Many of the 2 U rack chassis come with 12 x 3.5" disk slots. So
it's something we have to live / work with.

For your off-site backup, using fewer but larger disks would likely be preferred. But still
use RAID-Z2. For example 10TB disks are now available, with 12TB disks just coming
out. Perhaps more expensive, but you could use a single 12 disk RAID-Z2 vDev and yet
still have growth to double the number of disks. (Even using larger ones in the future.)

Status
Not open for further replies.