Non-Initial replication task

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginn

Cadet
Hello, I have the next configuration of datesets on two remote servers.
Local:
main
main/Dataset1
main/Public

Remote
main
main/Dataset1
main/Public

First I've made replication task from Local to Remote to replicate whole main recursively. So I have a bunch of snapshots of main, Dataset1, Public on both sides. Now I need to replicate Public only from Local to Remote. I've changed existing replication task to replicate local main/Public to remote main/Public. And when replication task starts, it begins to replicate the very first snapshot which is already exist on the Remote and makes initial replication of the whole dataset

What am I doing wrong?

I'm running FreeNAS-9.10.2-U1 (86c7ef5)

Last edited:

nojohnny101

Wizard
Now I need to replicate Public only from Local to Remote.
Why are you doing this if you already are replicating "main" recursively? Recursive means the "main/Public" dataset is already being replicated.

ginn

Cadet
Thanks for help
Cause now I don't need. My purpose now to replicate main/Public from Local to Remote and main/Dataset1 from Remote to Local.

Anyway, I resolved issue by setting the "Remote ZFS Volume/Dataset" in replication task as main instead of main/Public. Which is not obvious. Now replication task shows "up to date".

nojohnny101

Wizard
Ok. So you wanted the same datasets replicated but didn't want "main" replicated. This will also allow you to setup different policies and afford greater control on the frequency of snapshots/replication.

ginn

Cadet
Yeah, thanks. I just wonder why should I specify remote destination as main instead of main/Public if I want replicate local main/Public to remote main/Public.
Now I have another question. If I have only one periodic snapshot task for main recursive, Why I cannot choose what childs to replicate (only main available to choose in replication)? So I have to make separate periodic snapshot task for each child dataset I want to replicate plus one periodic task for main non-recursive.
It's more like feature request: snapshot everything recursively with single task, replicate only needed childs. (for example replication of main itself and main/jails is useless but snapshots are needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.