No ZIL? Bad idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truggleswick

Cadet
Hey ppl :)

Long time user and fan - first time poster.

I'm going to update from 8.3.0 to 9, and I'm wondering if I can steal the SSD out of my current NAS box, and run it without a ZIL? Bad idea?

The box is a dual-core AMD, 8GB RAM, OS running off a 8GB USB-stick, 3 WD reds - setup in a Z5 array (Z5 I think - the redundancy setup). And there's a 60GB SSD for the ZIL.

Will it work without a ZIL? I don't use compression or dedupe. Am I going to affect read/write times?

All my PCs are on a LAN, and connect through SSH, though I think I'll try NFS next time.

Comments are mush appreciated :D

Thanks for reading.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You mean a SLOG. Your pool always has a ZIL. Separating it onto a Separate LOG device makes it a SLOG.

Unless you have some very specific reason to think that your filer requires a SLOG device, it is probably fine on the one that's stored in-pool. Why don't you determine what devicename is handling the SLOG, then go to the console and observe what sort of activity it is handling?

Truggleswick

Cadet
Ahh... Thank you. I thought the ZIL went on the SSD. Is it stored on the RAM then? Or the HDs?

Meh, I'll experiment without the SSD tomorrow.

And while I'm asking... I'm going to backup all my data first, but I guessing there shouldn't be a problem importing volumes from version8 to version9?

Status
Not open for further replies.