Quick Hardware Upgrade Question(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfishernc

Dabbler
Hi all, I'm planning to upgrade the hardware on my system next week. Overall I'm very pleased but would like a bit more speed when running a few VMs (via NFS on ZFS to vSphere)

I have 8GB RAM (DDR3 1600) and am considering upping it to 16 GB (along with 2x20GB mirror Intel 313 SSD for ZIL and 1x120 GB SSD for L2ARC).

My question - when I add the extra RAM, do I need to do anything to take advantage of it? Or is rebooting the box (since I have to power off to install the ram) enough? I'm assuming FreeNAS will automatically see and use that extra memory without my involvement, right?

(Actually, I have a second question... My mobo can handle up to 32GB memory. It would be about $150 less to just increase to 32 GB and skip the ZIL and L2ARC upgrade... But would I see the same performance gains? Or is this an even better option? My gut is I would still be hampered by the ZIL being on my spinning disks, but might not need the L2arc as much with that much RAM)

Thanks!

ProtoSD

MVP
Don't do ZIL until after FreeNAS upgrades to ZFS v28. There's a bug that can cause you to lose your pool.

So your option to just increase your RAM to 32G sounds like the better choice.

bfishernc

Dabbler
Thank you for the quick reply!

(hopefully this isnt a sore question) Is ZFS v28 in FreeNAS 8.2 (next release version)? I see it mentioned in an old blog post of yours but i dont see it listed on the what's new list on the website (maybe I'm missing it).

Also, if I mirror the ZIL, is there still significant risk (ie because of a bug) or is this risk pretty minimal (both devices fail)?

Once again - thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.