No network access after install of windows 2016 server Running 11_u1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an interesting problem. i have 2016 server installed under bhyve and it boots fine and it even gets a dhcp address. but i have no network access after that.

current config is as follows
1 cpu
2 gig ram
100 Gig Disk
virtio NIC - drivers installed at install of os

im at a standstill.

on another note.. i do have plex jail installed and running fine
i have smb shares working
but i cannot get iscsi to connect.

all was working (other than VM in 9.10_u3) but i did a fresh install of 11_u1

thanks any help would be appreciated.

chris crude

Patron
Is your NIC device in FreeNAS set for VirtIO or did you only install it in the VM?

Side note...Even though it's in a VM, does any Windows install work well with only 2GB RAM?

Define no network access? Can you ping to/from that system?

Post the output of ifconfig from the FreeNAS system when the VM is running.
Nothing i can not ping it i cannot get access out.. the network is just dead... i can log in via vnc but that is it.

Is your NIC device in FreeNAS set for VirtIO or did you only install it in the VM?

Side note...Even though it's in a VM, does any Windows install work well with only 2GB RAM?

I saw no mention of setting the NIC device for VirtIO other than in the VM itself and configuring the VM... unless your refering to setting the nic device to VirtIO when i create the VM then yes both are don

Yes windows server works fine with 2 gig of ram.. the server runs fine with 512.. its what you do on the server that matters.. this would be a headless AD server with dns.. and very little activity on it as its for my home lab.. i ran them for years on hyper-v and ESXi with no issues.. hell our corporate vm running on hyper v with ballooning of 512-8gig ram rarely sees more than 512 memory usage.

chris crude

Patron
Yes I meant creating the VM and from within it. Sorry for the confusion.
And thanks for reminding me that you don't need a GUI for windows server anymore and can basically use only PowerShell. It's been awhile since I used any of that, I don't work in the networking field my old degree is only useful as a hobbyist.

diracp

Cadet
I have searched the forums and you seem to be the only one who managed to get windows server running! can you please give us some more info. It seems theres a bug with bhyve in freebsd 11 which is fixed in freebsd 12, so we are stuck with the bug in freenas... what did you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.