No longer receiving email alerts since upgrading to FreeNAS 11.3

Dwarf Cavendish

Contributor
Since I upgraded to FreeNAS 11.3 I have noticed that I am no longer getting email notifications of updates. It now happened a couple of times already that it was only through the forums that I realised that an update was available.

When I log onto my NAS there is also no alert bell showing. So this would suggest that my NAS is not checking for available updates. Which is strange, because:

1587972391216.png

Now that I am checking the alerts, the bottommost one (which is not chronologically the latest alert I have, but an "i" icon, whereas the rest are bell icons) is as follows:

1587972487662.png

Furthermore I see a couple of alerts about a scrub that was executed last night. This was also the kind of activity I would receive emails for prior to upgrading to FreeNAS 11.3. So it would seem that there are alerts, but that somehow sending emails for them is broken. I am also no longer receiving the weekly security report or emails reporting the ethernet interface (dis)connecting as a result of power cycles of my modem.

Now the obvious question is whether sending emails from my NAS is working at all. The answer: it is. Test emails promptly arrive.

Is there anything obvious that I could be missing here? I would be very bad if one day I would have a degraded pool without even noticing it.

Redcoat

MVP
Have you checked the settings in System Alert Services and System Alert Settings?

Dwarf Cavendish

Contributor
There are a lot of alert settings, but for example this one:

1588506885124.png

Looks the way it should.

As for the alert services: I discovered that the receiving email address was missing. Strange, because it worked fine prior to updating to 11.2, but also easily fixable. Thanks :) .

ikecomp22

Dabbler
There are a lot of alert settings, but for example this one:

View attachment 38198

Looks the way it should.

As for the alert services: I discovered that the receiving email address was missing. Strange, because it worked fine prior to updating to 11.2, but also easily fixable. Thanks :) .

Thanks for mentioning this. I upgraded in October (I always upgrade late) but just noticed this month I wasn't receiving alerts so I checked the alert services setting and sure enough it was missing the recipient email address. Like you, testing the email setting also worked even though I wasn't getting normal alerts. I assume this was somehow a bug introduced during the upgrade as the field somehow became unset