No IPv6 default gateway (via SLAAC)

vom

Dabbler
Hello,

I have a network using SLAAC for IPv6. Free/TrueNAS has been working fine on this for years. It gets it's SLAAC address, and it's def. gw via RA.

I just upgraded to 13, and I have no ipv6 def. gw. (it does still get it's /64 SLAAC address...) I do have a jail/plugin (Plex) but it's vnet is not set to use IPv6. I also tried shutting the jail down, no dice.

I see that rtsold is running, but TrueNAS just won't configure a def. gw. from the RA's on the wire.

Anyone else seeing this ? If it's a known issue - is there a bug filed ?

Thanks.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You probably need to statically create the bridge0 interface and move the IP address from physical to bridge. The automatically created bridge for your jail is the problem.

Just to make sure my suspicion is correct, can you disable the jail's autostart and reboot? Does that fix the problem?

If yes, create a bridge interface named bridge0, move all IP (v4 and v6) from physical to bridge, leave only options "up" and the check at "disable hardware offloading" at the physical interface. Make the physical a member of the bridge. Set static IPv4 for bridge and activate SLAAC. Attach the jail to bridge instead of physical.

vom

Dabbler
You probably need to statically create the bridge0 interface and move the IP address from physical to bridge. The automatically created bridge for your jail is the problem.

Just to make sure my suspicion is correct, can you disable the jail's autostart and reboot? Does that fix the problem?

If yes, create a bridge interface named bridge0, move all IP (v4 and v6) from physical to bridge, leave only options "up" and the check at "disable hardware offloading" at the physical interface. Make the physical a member of the bridge. Set static IPv4 for bridge and activate SLAAC. Attach the jail to bridge instead of physical.
Hmm,

(First off - thanks for the quick reply and info...)

I did all this, and the behavior is the same. The bridge0 works fine for v4, it gets a SLAAC address. The jail/plugin is also working as before (this is using VNET + DHCP). Still no ipv6 def. gw.

vom

Dabbler
Another strange thing. I reverted everything back to my original settings. I went into Network Global Config and set the def. gw. to my firewall's link-local. (In theory this will nearly never change until I change the NIC or firewall, so not a big deal...).

When I have the ipv6 def. gw. statically configured, on a fresh boot it looks like I get both my static as well as RA derived GW:

Code:
[vom@freenas ~]$ netstat -rn -f inet6 | grep ^default
default                           fe80::207:43ff:feXX:XXXX%cxl0  UGS        cxl0
default                           fe80::207:43ff:feXX:XXXX%cxl0  UG         cxl0

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Which means you do get a default GW from RA. BTW it is common for the GW to be received a couple of minutes after a reboot.