Niveus AV Storage Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Marques

Cadet
Hello all,

I am an AV integrator (and computer geek) and sold a Niveus Media Center and Storage Server to a client around 5 years ago or so. We recently inherited it back and I wish to recommission the storage server for our shop.

If you aren't familiar with Niveus, they made high end HTPCs for a brief time. They no longer make PCs, and I'm not even sure if they still exist. They surely don't support products anymore.

This unit has a VIA EPIA-SN Motherboard and four 1TB HDDs. I hooked the HDDs up to my laptop via SATA and saw that every drive has a Reallocated Sector Count of 100 or more. Based on my experience with drives, this is considered bad.

The unit has a login and I do not have this info, and I don't think the customer does either. I believe Niveus pre-configured all of this.

It runs Ubuntu 7.10 and the Grub boot screen identifier says kernel 2.6.24epia-sn-r1.

I have tried a couple Ubuntu walkthroughs on editing the boot commands to recover the root password, but I can't seem to get it to drop me into a bash prompt.

I know this isn't all FreeNAS related (unless it so happens to be what Niveus was deploying), but I am wondering if I can just scrap this Linux build, install FreeNAS and be back up and running.

Thoughts? Has anyone here done a NAS with this motherboard? Seems to me like maybe trying to extract the kernel from these drives might be a good idea.

D

dlavigne

You can always try burning FreeNAS to a stick, booting up, and seeing if it recognizes the disks. Any idea what filesystem is on them or if it is using hardware or software RAID?

Yatti420

Wizard
The drives are dead and if it runs ubuntu won't be recognized by FreeNAS? How much ram (8gb+) does it have does it support ECC ram? If not I'd probably look at Nas4free..

cyberjock

Inactive Account
VIA CPUs are whole unfit to be used in FreeNAS machines. Just told another thread that they should get better hardware. Not surprisingly, he's complaining because he's getting just 10MB/sec.

Status
Not open for further replies.