Nietsnuts homeNAS - building my perfect NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nietsnut

Cadet
Hi all,

first off all a great thumbs up to Ix Systems for creating FreeNas, I really like it!

I'm Melvin, a Dutch guy and I just got started with FreeNas so I will be asking some questions here and there. My box is a set which will be dedicated for home use and will be 'always-on', the intended use that I have in mind is this:
  1. archive of my personal files (scanned documents/emails)
  2. pictures/videos of my family (kids growing up etc)
  3. torrent/Usenet downloading
  4. media depot for streaming to my Marantz SR6009 receiver
  5. base for my 160Gb iPod
  6. accessible from WAN
  7. backend for Kodi?
  8. archive for future home security (maybe a set of purpose built Raspberry Pi's)
First I have to get the basics sorted out as I have some trouble with my shares and when this is fixed I will start importing data. I used to run a 32-bit Microsoft Home Server but wanted some more functionality so I switched. The 2 WD 1 Tb disks are from the MS Home Server, the WD 3 Tb disk is new.

I'm not worried about using excessive power as this machine goes down to 35 Watts approximately which I find acceptable, I also have a 5000Wp solar system on the roof which will cover this nicely :)

The reason I joined up is to learn from the community, if there is anything you ever you need to know about VW Lupo 3L or Audi A2 1.2 TDI have look on my forum.

cya later! Melvin

Status
Not open for further replies.