NIC Removal Changed IP of TrueNAS Scale

LunaTrick

Cadet
I am a 66yo noob. I did search. I watched many YT videos and read some postings here. Much of this stuff is way over my head.

I built a RAIDZ2 6-wide NAS. I filled it with media. I point
ed 2 media boxes at it and scanned in all that media. We started watching media and it works as smooth as butter on the NAS. I am so pleased. I was amazed I got that far by myself.

Then I removed a 2.5Gbe NIC from the NAS for return, but now the IP has changed.

Centurylink DSL Modem
latest version of TrueNAS Scale on a Gigabyte Aorus B450
Win10 PC
old IP and gateway
new IP and gateway

In the TrueNAS GUI I uncheck DHCP and assign 192.168.0.31/24 and saved. I did the network check for 60 seconds and afterwards, it always reverts back to dot 30.

I tried assigning the NIC MAC to dot 31 in the modem DHCP reservation area and rebooted the NAS. No joy. It remained at dot 30.

It seems as if that IP is reserved somewhere and it won't let dot 31 to be reassigned. Just my wild guess.

I would like a static address so this problem never happens again.

It takes 6+ hours to scan all the media to one box. Plus we watched a lot of stuff. I really don't want to redo all that. I really thought changing an IP would be faster.

I don't know what else to try, and I don't want to screw things up further. I'm not a tech.

Thanks

LunaTrick

Cadet
Solved.
The GUI on the windows PC got me nowhere. Is it bugged?
Once I understood that assigning an alias is truenas/networking speak for setting an IP address, I was able to use the numerical menu on the NAS machine to turn off DHCP and assign my static IP - I mean alias.

demanl

Cadet
Solved.
The GUI on the windows PC got me nowhere. Is it bugged?
Once I understood that assigning an alias is truenas/networking speak for setting an IP address, I was able to use the numerical menu on the NAS machine to turn off DHCP and assign my static IP - I mean alias.
Did some reading and setting an alias is the way to assign a second IP address to a NIC...this is the way :)