NIC keeps changing from "UP" to "DOWN" and cant access GUI, FreeNAS 11.2 Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

CH4Pz

Explorer
Hiya all, massive Noob here, please be gentle lol.. so last night i upgraded to 11.2 beta, along with the new ui, i was also in the process of rebuilding my jails. As i hadnt previously had to enter "Netmask" before, i made most of the jails DHCP, but wanted to try out couch potato plugin, but this time (after googling netmask) entered the static settings of 192.168.0.10 with netmask of 32. then from the jails or plugin menu (sorry was still learning new layout cant remember which menu i was on) on the couch potato dropdown menu it says "upgrade", so i decided to upgrade before setting things up, to which it logged me out to the login screen and had a large loading sign. the screen output was saying attempts to modify permanent entry at, etc etc.. it also locked me out of the UI, even after trying to open it in a new tab. After 15min of waiting i assumed it had hung so i reset and now upon boot the NIC goes in a constant up/down loop, cant access UI or boot at all. I've tried both NICs and even tried booting into older versions through the boot manager. tried "single user mode" but asked for directory before getting to the part where this issue occurs. Sorry for long post just wanted as many details as possible, system in sig :)
freenas error.png

Is that the NIC in the FreeNAS box, or the NIC in the jail? I am guessing it is the former. Off the cuff, that smacks of bad cable or bad switch port.

Edit: Also, a 32 bit netmask means exactly one host on the network. No talking to any other hosts on that NIC. That is just an aside. I can't see how the IP assigned would have any impact on the physical state of the NIC.

CH4Pz

Explorer
Is that the NIC in the FreeNAS box, or the NIC in the jail? I am guessing it is the former. Off the cuff, that smacks of bad cable or bad switch port. Also, a 32 bit netmask means exactly one host on the network. No talking to any other hosts on that NIC. That is just an aside. I can't see how the IP assigned would have any impact on the physical state of the NIC.
yeh the 10gbe NIC on the motherboard, which goes into asus xg-u2008 10gbe switch, but goes back to 1gbe after that (at the moment)... seems weird it would happen right at that point ?? could it be bug with the beta?

Is that a managed switch, and is this a twisted pair link? If so, you are likely being bit by both sides trying to do auto-mdix (cross over). If the switch is managed, it is likely easier to disable it on that side. There might be some options you could pass to ifconfig to change that as well, but I don't know those off the top of my head. You could also try forcing the speed on one side. Every once in a while, bad things happen when both sides are trying to automagically configure everything....

Edit: that is an unmanaged switch. Try using a 1G port and see if the link is stable.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
can't access UI or boot at all. I've tried both NICs and even tried booting into older versions through the boot manager. tried "single user mode" but asked for directory
Is it the FreeNAS system that is giving you trouble or the Jail? I am confused.

CH4Pz

Explorer
Is it the FreeNAS system that is giving you trouble or the Jail? I am confused.
possibly the system.. i just plugged it into one of the 1G ports on switch and it loaded but now where it says the web user interface is at: it gives 2 ip's, first is 192.168.0.10 (the static ip i set for couch potato) and 192.168.0.41, neither of which allow me to access the UI ("the site cant be reached"). now that its stopped switching i'll try an older version again?

CH4Pz

Explorer
also getting an error since 11.2 upgrade, saying "NTP 2 out of 8 probes failed"

Status
Not open for further replies.