NFSv4 Home Directories with autofs ACL Help

KrisBee

Wizard
Well, you seem to have made some progress. As for autofs, I personally would not choose your type of config which results in icons appearing and disappearing from the cinnamon desktop. Another approach is to use the autofs "hosts" option. Just add a single line to /etc/auto.master, e.g:

Code:
/net -hosts -fstype=nfs4,rw

In the nemo file manager "location entry" field just type "/net/< ip of freenas>/" to navigate to NFS shares, for example:

autofs_hosts.jpg

You can bookmark this.

My FreeNAS NFS exports for this example:

Code:
/mnt/myPool/home -maproot="nobody":"users" -sec=sys -network 192.168.0.0/24
/mnt/myPool/photos -maproot="nobody":"users" -sec=sys -network 192.168.0.0/24

But if you're mostly using windows, why not just use SMB mounts in linux? Do your coreelec boxes support SMB2/3 or only SMB1?

gwaitsi

Patron
getting damn close. i haven't tried your preferred method yet, because i have it working except for one last issue.

when i create a file and directory under any user.
file permissions is rw rw r (should be rw- or rw-rw-)
directory permissions is drwxrwsr-x (should be drwx-)

** i fixed it by setting the ACLs in the gui. The reason i kept breaking it was, i kept removing the Execute (which seems to be needed)

so my final config both phots / users is
dataset - nobody:users
@user - all except delete + inherit
@groups - all read + execute + inherit
@Everyone - read ACL, sync + inherit

for the user directories owners are user1:user1 and photos are user1:users

thanks for all the support

Last edited:

gwaitsi

Patron
end result....i was fighting a losing battle from the beginning.

my main machine running mint 19.3 with exactly the same nfs config as my new build running 20 gives
"ls: reading directory '.': Input/output error"

my mint 20 is working for me now, like it was for standard users after i changed my uid/guid from 1000 to 1004 on the pc and freenas..
windows machines are all good. only the home shares maps differently which was throwing me off as well.
i was trying to map \\nas\home\me but see the home shares map as \\nas\me.

i couldn't get the /net working, but will take another look when i have finished getting the basic features i need up and running.
problems with jails and vlans......but that is another story. thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

p.s. coreelec, i was using r/o smb, but i want to use only streaming to tighten security on their vlan.