NFS Share Permission Is Always Denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimm Spector

Explorer
I have an NFS share setup, and for reasons that are beyond me, permission is denied for me to write anything to the disk no matter what I change.

I've tried using the mapall user/group to nobody; I've tried manually setting permissions in the shell to 777, I've set permissions and ownership of the zfs mount point to nobody/777; I've added windows permissions in theory to it, which literally changed nothing.

I'm ready to lose my mind with this crap, it's Linux, if it's 777 it makes ZERO sense that I can't access it. And no the "read-only" flag is not set on the share, so it's not that either.

I really hope someone can help me figure this out, it's driving me nuts.

moelassus

Dabbler
I had the same issue. I set the MapAll user to my account and set the owner of that dataset to my user account. That may not be practical for your situation but it worked for me.

Grimm Spector

Explorer
I had the same issue. I set the MapAll user to my account and set the owner of that dataset to my user account. That may not be practical for your situation but it worked for me.

The problem there is that some of the clients accessing it will be under different user names. Some of the systems will be Linux, and some will be Windows based. Currently I'm trying to work with it from a Windows system. And please do not suggest SMB, as it is not an option currently.

KrisBee

Wizard
Are you using NFSv3 or NFSv4? If accessing a NFS share from Windows, did you take any action to allow a read-write mount? AFAIK this is still relevant:

https://graspingtech.com/mount-nfs-share-windows-10/

From memory, I think this also applies to versions of win7 that support NFS.

some of the clients accessing it will be under different user names
Care to clarify? Do you mean you simply expect multiple users to access this share and they don't have (all) accounts of your FreeNAS box?

Status
Not open for further replies.