NFS & Samba - System Volume Information folder causing NO NFS access

Status
Not open for further replies.

msignor

Dabbler
Hey Guys,

I understand the issues surrounding more than one access protocol per volume etc. I have a simple home environment, most things are read-only. Most of my machines accessing the NAS are linux, but I have a single windows VM to run some VMWare ESX Backup software to a mapped network drive (freenas).

Whenever I actually MAP a network drive with SMB, my NFS shares become un-usable. Literally can't access any data. However, if I un-map the drive, and remove the "system volume information" folder, NFS is magically working again.

The crazy part is that my laptop and the mrs's laptop which are both windows, can write files to it just fine (not mapped, through explorer only) and it's no problem. I also tried with a standalone linux box as a SMB and NFS server to see if I can reproduce this, and I can't.

Is there a FreeNAS setting somewhere to have NFS not honor any windows permissions etc? Anyone know of a fix within Windows? Is this even a permissions thing? I would assume so.

Thanks!

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Do the Linux clients need access to the backup data? If not you should be creating a backup dataset and share specifically for that windows box.

msignor

Dabbler
Do the Linux clients need access to the backup data? If not you should be creating a backup dataset and share specifically for that windows box.

The linux clients do not - however, I did this mostly for convenience given how I am backing up the data. I should mention that I have a separate volume shared as iSCSI and I use that for all of my VM's as their primary data store. However, I want to back up the VM's and hence the Windows software requirement and it's the software that maps a network drive to my other volume on FreeNAS which is my "storage" volume.

SO, Since I backup as follows: FreeNAS is the primary -> I do an RSYNC job every night to backup to a buffalo appliance -> then weekly the buffalo backs up to an external USB. The only volume I can realistically back up each night with RSYNC is the "storage" volume and not the ISCSI data store volume because well.. I have running VM's :smile:

I do want to note that again, most of my applications are all Linux based (DLNA Server, Print Server, etc.) but my laptop and my woman's are Windows and are really just for putting content ONTO the network so there isn't a need for mapped drives etc. That works fine, and it wasn't until I mapped a drive and used this software that it was an issue where NFS stopped being able to access data.

Status
Not open for further replies.