Accessing NFS share on W10 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmcguire525

Explorer
TL;DR: Having permission issues with NFS and W10, any tips on proper settings and procedure would help... steps I've tried listed below.

I've always used SMB but heard NFS was better and faster, so for my first build I decided I would give it a try... I have my datasets and shares setup with a user and group created (lets call them user/admin) for permissions...

I turned on the NFS services on my windows desktop and first tried the logical way of mounting the share...

Code:
mount -o -u:user -p:<password> \\192.168.1.XX\mnt\Storage\Media X:

That didn't work so I read this guide and got it mapped using...

Code:
mount -o anon \\192.168.1.XX\mnt\Storage\Media X:

The first time I mapped it I was using the "wheel" group and was able to create new folders but couldn't drag and drop any files, it would say the directory already had that file in it and when I told it (which it didn't) and when I chose to replace it the file transfer would fail.

I mapped it again with the same user and the group I created (both have read and write access configured) and this time I can't create a folder or transfer files due to a permission issue.

I also tried using the path in explorer without mapping the drive, same permission issue. I tried the advance share setting and added the ip address of the windows desktop to "authorized addresses" and have 192.168.1.X/24 added to "authorized networks". Hopefully I'm just making some small error, any help would be greatly appreciated!

jmcguire525

Explorer
So I'm now able to drag and drop files from my W10 desktop. I mounted the drive by adding "nolock" to the command

Code:
mount -o nolock anon \\192.168.1.XX\mnt\Storage\Media X:

The problem I have now is I'm only getting ~30Mbps write speeds. I still feel like this isn't the best way of mounting the share on windows but I haven't been able to find any way of mounting it by providing the user name and password through cmd or allowing this computers ip to access with read and write permissions through explorer. Anyone have any ideas on how to speed up the write or a better way of accessing the share with write permissions?

oh i totally missed that sorry, unfortunately I have never used nfs on my system hopefully someone experienced will be able to chime in and help you soon.

jmcguire525

Explorer
Were you able to figure this out?

Not completely. I modified the registry for the proper uid/gid and mounted the share using...
Code:
mount -o nolock anon

All the test I ran were over CAT6, but without a SLOG and sync=standard it is maxing out ~30MBps. With a SLOG and sync=standard its ~60MBps, and the highest I get is ~80MBps with a SLOG and sync=disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.