NFS Issues - Difference between TrueNAS NFS and NFS-Server

bmoreitdan

Dabbler
I've been hesitant to post this because I lack some troubleshooting.

Issue Summary: Using TrueNAS (and FreeNAS) as an NFS server for web hosting reveals some file writing issues seen through WordPress which are not present when I use NFS-Server installed on a clean CentOS 7.x. I experienced this years ago with FreeNAS, and again recently with the latest TrueNAS.

TrueNAS Configuration:
  • TrueNAS-12.0-RELEASE
  • Dataset details: Sync-disable, Compression-LZ4, Atime-disable, Dedup-disable (I'm attempting to achieve the fastest write time to rule out any write latency)
  • NFS Export details:
Code:
root@san02[~]# cat /etc/exports 
V4: / -sec=sys
/mnt/CompanyFileShare/WebHostingStorage -maproot="root":"wheel" -network 192.168.30.0/24

Server Configuration:
  • 3x CentOS 7.6 with Docker installed
  • /etc/fstab as follows:
Code:
san02.healytechnologies.com:/mnt/Business_VM_Storage/business_nfs_storage /san/data1                   nfs4    rw,hard,intr,noatime       0 0

How to reproduce issue:
(PROBLEM)
  1. When using TrueNAS as mounted NFS server (at /san/data1), visit any Wordpress website admin interface (works fine)
  2. Upload a new theme that is ~30MB or more (the size is not based on a limit, only by experience)
  3. WordPress reports that the theme has already been uploaded because it exists on the file system - ISSUE (I'm not sure how to troubleshoot what's going on here, but I can replicate this over and over. It's like there's some issue writing to the filesystem or reporting back that it was successful)
(WORKING FINE)
  1. When using another CentOS server as an NFS server (also mounted as /san/data1), visit any Wordpress website admin interface (works fine)
  2. Upload a new theme that is ~30MB or more (the size is not based on a limit, only by experience)
  3. WordPress shows a success page - everything works fine.