NFS help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent1

Dabbler
Quick question....Is there a Pkg available for pc-nfsd? We are using an older CNC machine that uses NFS to transfer files across the network. It has a Hummingbird NIC and the Service Tech is telling me that the NFS software must have PC-NFSd in order to work. We are currently using a windows NT server with Omni-NFS 4.13. That box is on its way out and I don't want another windows server around if I can help it. Thanks.

D

dlavigne

You could try installing net/pcnfsd into a jail. Not sure how well it will work in a jail though.

Agent1

Dabbler
It is difficult for me to understand how the client side NFS node can dictate that this daemon needs to be running. I would think that it would be a server side requirement. Needless to say, the service tech seems to be scared to death to work on Unix and only recommends setting up another windows server with the Omni-NFS software. That seems like a total waste of hardware when I have a FreeBSD machine running on the network. I was hoping to install a addon that would meet this pcnfsd so called requirement. I have not attempted to get them connected yet because the service guy was so adamit about how pcnfsd was required in order for it to work and that Unix is so hard to setup......

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Unix is hard the same way Windows is hard. If you know what you are doing, its dead simple. The problem is most people only know Windows and aren't interested in expanding their knowledge.

One thing I always find humorous is that Windows people seem to be hellbent on having the biggest e-penis. But, as soon as you start talking about Linux or Unix(or any variant thereof) they dismiss it like its not there because they don't want to admit they aren't the top dog anymore. I have a few friends like that and I've broken one of them of that habit. He's now looking at a career change since you can make very good money as a Linux/Unix admin.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Does Omni-NFS support pcnfsd?

If not, give it a shot without because your service tech might not understand the difference between an NFS client on the PC (which could well be Sun's PC-NFS) and actually requiring pcnfsd on the server side, which handles user mapping and other DOS to UNIX cruft IIRC.

Note that I may not RC but I do have a set of PC-NFS disks floating around somewhere that I'm sure I haven't used in many years. I am guessing PC-NFS works fine without pcnfsd if you give it an NFS share unimpeded by permissions (like mapping all to root, heh).

Status
Not open for further replies.