Nextcloud to replace Dropbox for a remote video editor

gyorfitam

Dabbler
Hi Everyone,

I'm planning to setup my own Nextcloud storage to replace Google Drive/Dropbox/etc. I have few questions about this:
- Is it possible to use an external (USB 3.0) SSD as the storage for the cloud? I would like to use 4 HDD's as my local RAID storage and the USB SSD would be only for the cloud (but connected to the same computer). Generally speaking I'm expecting big files (tens of GB's or more) to be uploaded by my clients from a remote location (so through the internet), I would only upload the finished video files that are typically under 2GB so I assume it's good that my download speed is quite nice. The important part is that the client should be able to upload it to this external SSD (that is physically in my room) through the internet and I want to have easy access to it through my LAN so I can copy it to the editing PC.
- Is it possible to set this up with a normal home broadband with a basic router? If you need better router, what is the minimum you would recommend? I just measured the available speed right now and it's around 530 Mbit/s download / 37 Mbit/s upload. What kind of speeds I can expect out of this setup?
- 8GB RAM and a 2C/4T i3 CPU enough for this? The more demanding tasks (so clients uploading) are only going to happen here and there, not all the time.

Thanks in advance :smile:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
- Is it possible to use an external (USB 3.0) SSD as the storage for the cloud?
That's possible (although USB is introducing a factor that will likely have you regretting it at some point). An internal NVME M.2 drive would be a better answer.

Are you concerned that your Internet connection will be too fast for the RAIDZ pool? I would doubt that, so maybe consider not using the additional drive.

If you're concerned about not exposing the contents of the RAIDZ to the Internet, you need to consider the overall security of your system and don't be worried about access to only one of your pools... if somebody can maliciously access one of your pools (USB, NVME, RAIIDZ or whatever), you're already exposed and they can probably see your whole system... the idea is to prevent malicious access entirely (or as best you reasonably can) with a firewall, reverse proxy and properly secured access (like using the nextcloud option for 2 factor Auth)

- Is it possible to set this up with a normal home broadband with a basic router? If you need better router, what is the minimum you would recommend? I just measured the available speed right now and it's around 530 Mbit/s download / 37 Mbit/s upload. What kind of speeds I can expect out of this setup?
I would recommend something with a proper firewall (so depends on your broadband provider if that's their default kit or not). pfSense can be installed on appropriate hardware with 2 Network interfaces in order to do the job correctly if your ISP doesn't. DD-WRT is also an option to put proper firewalling in place with a consumer router, but may struggle to route 500Mbits reliably unless you go with really new hardware (make sure to check their compatibility matrix before buying anything).

- 8GB RAM and a 2C/4T i3 CPU enough for this? The more demanding tasks (so clients uploading) are only going to happen here and there, not all the time.
For a Nextcloud instance to have some room to do its work, I would recommend going above the minimum required RAM of 8GB and opt for 16GB instead. That CPU is fine (assuming you get a board and RAM that are appropriate for TrueNAS).

gyorfitam

Dabbler
Thank you for your comprehensive answer. Now I see it more clearly what should I do.
If you're concerned about not exposing the contents of the RAIDZ to the Internet
That's the main reason for me but in this case, I can think about something else. Let's say someone can maliciously access one of my pools so the they probably see the whole system. Does this only apply to that particular system or the whole home network with all the connected devices? If it's the first then I can even think about setting up a mini PC with one HDD for this cloud separately so it would be separated from my main NAS, our computers, phones, etc.

sretalla