Nextcloud picture file location?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roydub

Dabbler
I finally got nextcloud working though it still says it has no access to the internet. But regardless it does what I need it to do and auto uploads pictures from my phone as soon as I get home. The only problem is I just don’t know where nextcloud stores the pictures?

I set the storage destination for nextcloud to /mnt/server/Nextcloud and was expecting the pictures to end up there. Did I miss something during the setup?

My jails are on a separate pool because I wanted my Plex posters to be on an SSD. So I am expecting that to have something to do with it.

My goal is to be able to auto upload pictures from my phone when I get home (check), and then have those pictures backed up to my backblaze account. That's where Im running into trouble. I could backup the whole nextcloud folder but with the trouble I had installing the plugin I would feel more comfortable uploading the pictures themselves.

Nextcloud 10.0.1
Freenas 11.1-U6

Thankyou for any help

garm

Wizard
They do, but not directly in that folder. They are here (unless photo upload does something special)
<nc_storage_root>/<user>/files/<folder>

Roydub

Dabbler
Still cant seem to find them. They must be going somewhere else? For some reason I cant seem to access the /mnt/Jails/nextcloud_1/media/ folder, I keep getting a popup that says permission was denied. Even if I try to SSH in and access it while logged in as root I get the same message, so maybe they are in there? So just wondering what is the point of being able to set a source and destination if your uploads don't go there? Im still learning here so I apologize if these are stupid questions.

This is still a fresh install of nextcloud so im totally willing to remove it and start over again if there is something that may work better?

danb35

Hall of Famer
How did you set up Nextcloud? And how did you:
set the storage destination for nextcloud to /mnt/server/Nextcloud
?

Details, please--we don't have a crystal ball to see what you've done.

As a general point, note that Nextcloud 10.x is four major releases out of date, and you'd probably be better served by using something more current.

Roydub

Dabbler
How did you set up Nextcloud? And how did you:

Source: /mnt/Jails/nextcloud_1/media/admin/files/InstantUpload
Destination: /mnt/Server/Family Share/Nextcloud

note that Nextcloud 10.x is four major releases out of date, and you'd probably be better served by using something more current.

Yes I understand that it is outdated. Like I said there are a lot of threads with on different ways to update Nextcloud, and they are all over a year old. The last time I tried one I ran into a problem with configuring NGINX.

danb35

Hall of Famer
they are all over a year old
I know this one isn't over a year old...
Source: /mnt/Jails/nextcloud_1/media/admin/files/InstantUpload
Destination: /mnt/Server/Family Share/Nextcloud
I think you've got this backward--I think you want the source to be /mnt/Server/Family Share/Nextcloud and the destination /media/admin/files/InstantUpload.

Roydub

Dabbler
I know this one isn't over a year old...

lol I did see that earlier and was wondering how long it was going to take before you brought it up, so I stand corrected. I will give it a try, even though I don't understand half of what everyone is talking about in your thread. But I guess there's no better time to learn than the present :)

I think you've got this backward--I think you want the source to be /mnt/Server/Family Share/Nextcloud and the destination /media/admin/files/InstantUpload.

Ya I thought that that was the way it was supposed to be, but it never worked and sent the pictures over. For some reason there staying in the /InstantUpload folder

danb35

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I guess I'm kind of pimping my own script. But it seems to work pretty well for a number of folks. And the nice thing is that you don't have to understand much, just put together a short config file and run the script. But more discussion of that, if you like, in that thread.

What I think you're running into is that the plugin just isn't really designed to deal with external storage. It can, no doubt, be made to do it, but it doesn't make it easy. But rather than mounting a directory in your pool specifically to the admin user's InstantUpload directory, it's probably a better practice to mount it to the Nextcloud storage directory generally. I haven't played with the Nextcloud plugin yet (downloading it now), so I can't be more specific yet.

Edit: OK, the plugin's installed here. Consistent with what it looked like from what you'd been doing, it's using /media as the data directory. It would probably be best if you just mounted your dataset at /media in the jail, but /media/admin/files/InstantUpload would work too if you wanted just the pics. But if you already have stuff there, the storage mount won't work. So here's what you'd do:
  • Enter the Nextcloud jail's shell. Simplest way to do that is, in the GUI, go to Jails, click on the nextcloud_1 jail, and then click the Shell button at the bottom.
  • cd /media/admin/files
  • mv InstantUpload InstantUpload_old
  • mkdir InstantUpload
  • Exit out of the shell (Ctrl-D will do it)
  • Add storage to the jail as I mentioned above--Source is /mnt/Server/Family Share/Nextcloud, destination is /media/admin/files/InstantUpload
  • Go back to the Nextcloud jail's shell
  • cd /media/admin/files
  • mv InstantUpload_old/* InstantUpload/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.